Tar73 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Need help deciding between tables and fields

Hi guys

I have just learned to work with access and the basic to make a database, but I dont know much about design choices when making a database.

My first project is to make a database about modifications for certain games for my own use. Mods is made by players to change, add or delete game elements to improve the original game, like making cities grow faster in a strategy game, or increasing damage of a certain weapon in a first person shooter. So mods can be about almost every elements in a game.

What I'm struggling with is to decide if I should make certain elements into a table with many fields or just a field with many variables. So I wonder if its some general guide or something to help me decide and organize things into tables and fields, or if anyone have any tips or suggestions to help me on the way, and what the benefits are for choosing one over the other?

Any help is appreciated

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    There are lots of resources for db design guidance. Here is one http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/

The benefit of full normalization is scalability. Instead of having to modify table to add a new field for a new element, add a new record. However, full normalization can mean more 1-to-many related tables and forms and reports can be more complicated, possibly requiring more subform/subreport arrangements.

It is a balancing act between normalization and ease of data entry/output. Only you know your business requirements well enough to make decisions on applying normalization principles to your data structure.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Tar73 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Thanks for quick reply June7. There seem to be some interesting things there so I will check it out, thanks

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.