TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003

moving tables between databases

Hi everyone.

I'm working on a workflow db that has multiple processes, each of which outputs multiple excel docs. This will be a very commonly used db which will have anywhere from 100-50k+ records in each run. I want to be able to save these resulting tables for archival purposes. Obviously, my db will exceed the 2gb max very quickly. A possible solution I have come up with is to have archive dbs that will store these tables. While I am able to open another db and save a table into it with VBA, I'm not able to figure out how to manipulate the folders with VBA. For example:

i have:
    Workflow DB
    -process A
    -process B
    -process C

i want to send outputs to:
    process A Archive

- tbl A (folder)
    --a1
    --a2
    --a3
    - tbl B (folder)
    --b1
    --b2
    --b3

process B Archive
    - tbl A (folder)
    --a1
    --a2
    --a3
    - tbl B (folder)
    --b1
    --b2
    --b3

process C Arvhive
    - tbl A (folder)
    --a1
    --a2
    --a3
    - tbl B (folder)
    --b1
    --b2
    --b3

Has anyone ever done something like this? Some tips would be appreciated

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    What I might consider would be to do a simply copy/paste the mdb file for the archive just by giving it a unique date in the file name.

Then just run a simple set of DeleteQueries - that clear out all the records from the tables that are to received new info. This leaves the tables in place and won't disrupt queries/forms/reports that rely on these objects.

Hope this helps.

Windows XP Access 2003
    I still want to separate out the different processes into different DBs. Further, the resulting table names aren't constant so I would have to go in and manually delete them. The real issue at hand is how to manipulate the folders in the database window. Is that even an object/property that can be manipulated in vba?

KathyL is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShabz View Post
    Hi everyone.

I'm working on a workflow db that has multiple processes, each of which outputs multiple excel docs. This will be a very commonly used db which will have anywhere from 100-50k+ records in each run. I want to be able to save these resulting tables for archival purposes. Obviously, my db will exceed the 2gb max very quickly. A possible solution I have come up with is to have archive dbs that will store these tables. While I am able to open another db and save a table into it with VBA, I'm not able to figure out how to manipulate the folders with VBA. For example:

Has anyone ever done something like this? Some tips would be appreciated
    I don’t know the number of fields in your records, but 50,000 to 100,000 records by itself may not get anywhere near 2gb. I’ve got a db with easily a million records and it’s size is under 200MB.
    It would be very easy to use linked tables between databases, I do that all the time. You can then use action queries to add and delete records in the tables of the other database.

Windows XP Access 2003
    I'm thinking long term. I'd say there would be 5-10 tables added every week. over a 52 week year, it adds up. It's really for organization's sake. I just want them archived.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.