eww is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007

Front End vs. Shortcut

I've been working on a database for my company for a few months now and in the last month or so we began testing it at my location. During the development process I split the database as recommended and when we distributed it out for testing I put a copy of the front end on each user's desktop.

This plan for this (at least for the time being) is to empliment this database in our region which is several cities across the state. We've been discussing options on how to approach.

My immediate question relates to the fact that we have begun testing this at the closest branch to us through a terminal server. I was putting actual copies of the front end on the user desktop when they logged into the server, however when my boss contacted a friend who deals primarily in SQL for advice and help one of the things he recommended was just creating a shortcut on the user's desktop when they log into the terminal server. This goes against everything I've learned/read about front end/back end operations and my question is just does this make sense? If not exactly what kind of problems would arise from this? I've read about speed/performance and corruption as just a couple of possibilities.

I'm not as familiar when it comes to operating on terminal servers, etc. so your advice is greatly appreciated.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    If I understand your setup correctly, remote users log into a terminal server (TS) either directly or via VPN connection. While your gut feeling is correct, in a TS environment the TS is the machine doing the processing, so the front end should be there. How was the performance when you ran the front end from the remote user machine? Typically it wouldn't be very good (WAN vs LAN). The only caveat I've found in a TS environment is that you still want each user to run their own copy of the front end. Otherwise they are sharing portions of the front end, which you don't want. I tweaked my front end version control utility to copy/run the front end from a folder named for the logged in user:

C:\AccessApps\JoeBlow\FileName.mde
    C:\AccessApps\MarySmith\FileName.mde

Others use scripted "home" folders. It doesn't really matter as long as they have their own copy.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

eww is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    As always thanks for the help Paul. This makes more sense to me now.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Happy to help Eric.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.