bcarter17 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2007

Front End/Back End

Hopefully some of you have already solved this. I have built a database for use on our LAN, with the back end residing on a shared network drive we purchased. At the end of the day, we put a backup copy of the back end onto our Google Drive account. Doing this allows our Office Manager/CFO to be able to pull information from home or while traveling. But she cannot see the current day until we run the backup at end of day.

I was wondering about just placing the backend out onto the Google Drive (our G drive on the network) so that ownership could get access of current data. But, at our location the internet connection is not always stable. We get our connection from a dish to dish setup that are about a mile apart (we are a rock quarry). We can't put ourselves into a situation where a outage would shut us down until the internet connection returned. Has anyone faced this, and what methods did you come up with to create a workaround? We create load tickets for outbound loads of rock and sometimes have 10 to 15 trucks lined up to cross the scales.

My very inexperienced thoughts were to store the ticket info locally and then update the cloud table when connection is restored, but we also store customer information and truck weights in the back end as well, and we would need to try to have a backup copy of that somewhere.

This may be out of reach with our technology......

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Lots of info available on the subject. Short answer is, don't even try. Here's one thread replete with associated links.
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-d80e45ba5a17
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

The best way to work with Access DB over www is to use a Terminal Server in your LAN.

The BE is placed on shared network drive;
    All users who need to work with it remotely, must have an user profile in TS on your LAN, and have FE in his/her profile of TS, or on some shared network drive;
    The user connects to your LAN remotely, logs on into TS, and opens his/her FE from there.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I think this negates the idea of Terminal Server (or whatever it's called now):
    pull information from home or while traveling.
    For that you'd need something like Citrix.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    I think this negates the idea of Terminal Server (or whatever it's called now):
    <pull information from home or while traveling.>
    Now I'm really confused! Why do you think it doesn't work? Both FE and BE are in same LAN, and FE is opened in same LAN too. All database info is moved in LAN only. Btween user's comp, and instance of FE in user's profile in TS, only key- and mouse-strockes and screen images are exchanged.

In our company, we are using this scheme for years without any problems. Lately, for security reasons, a rule was implemented, that only specified company owned laptops can connect to LAN remotely, so no work from private home computer anymore, but this is the only limit.

And to avoid cases, where user leaves the instance of FE open p.e. in TS, and then opens it from his/her computer (or vice versa), the users working with DB remotely, must open it from TS always - even when they are working in LAN locally.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    In my limited experience with TS I had a desktop keyboard and a small box (dumb terminal) that connected to one of the servers. I had no such box at home so i could not connect that way unless I was at work. If the "boss" doesn't have a terminal at home that is wired into that LAN, how is he supposed to connect?

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    how is he supposed to connect?
    by using remote desktop

by using remote desktop
    And btw. not only for using TS. Before the new security police was implemented in our company, I could leave my destop working when leaving, and could log in there from my home comp and work from home.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.