Dal is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Update Subform Control With Value In Parent Form

1 - I'm trying to use VBA to update the value of my subform fHeadersSubform[BillID] set to the value of the parent form fMainHeaders[BillID]. I thought best to assign it to the event BeforeUpdate of the overall form Me!. I do not want to hardcode the name of the parent form because I want it to be as dynamic as possible.

Currently receiving the error "You cannot add/change because a related record is required in table 'tBills'. So the issue is the VBA code is not working properly. Am I assigning the wrong event/ bad code? Also tried using the event of "entering the subform" to no avail.

2 - When I get the above to work how can I hide the BillID & HeaderID fields in the fHeadersSubform? I have visible set to no but they are still appearing. I can't imagine because it is a datasheet format.
    Last edited by Dal; 04-28-2024 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Incorrect module in vba shown

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    The code may not be working "properly" but Access is - at least according to how you must have set your relationships. It's telling you that you cannot enter a child record because there is no parent record, which makes sense, yes? Maybe explain why you'd want to start a child record when there is no parent record.

Yes, it is because the form is a datasheet and you have that field in the results. If you must stay with a datasheet, then set the column width to 0 in your code. That will not stop anyone else from dragging it back though. The solution is don't include the field or use a continuous form instead. With some work, you can make it look like a datasheet if that is the look you really want.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Dal is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    1 - Thanks Micron, the parent record of BillID & MainHeaderID is present in the subform. I am trying to avoid entering the BillID & MainHeaderID each time if I choose to create a new Header under the current MainHeader (parent form). Basically if I start entering data in the subform[Header] I am choosing to enter a new record & do not want to have to enter data which should be inherited already from the parent record.

2 - Interesting, so the datasheet format is messing me up. What would you recommend to display all records of the subform from the single record in the parent form? I chose it because it was the quickest way to get what I want & I'm a newbie.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Do you have your Link Master/Child fields linked between the 2 forms (select subform control and see data tab on property sheet)? If you do, then you don't need to enter ID data in a subform. When you create a new record, the subform's linked field automatically gets populated.

2) solutions stated in my prior post

Why do you have most/all fields duplicated in your forms?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

You need to save the main form data, before you can set child form data.
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Dal is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Thanks Micron.

1 - I put an expression to feed BillID in the subform from the parent form. It works! BUT when I enter a record it tells me "a related record is required in tBills". What's strange is that the MainHeaderID is showing a 1, but it is not being fed at all. It's so strange. I cannot see how a record is required in tBills & clearly this cannot be the issue anyway as it is working fine when I just enter the data manually .

2 - Sorry, I remember a tutorial on continous forms now - big thanks.

Dal is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by Welshgasman View Post
    You need to save the main form data, before you can set child form data.
    Thanks Welshgasman, sorry how would you suggest to overcome? I have not added a new record/ changed data to the parent form. https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...-entry.312126/ The way I interpret thread #2 is that the main form saves itself. Not saying you're wrong here at all, but just stumped as to what I need to do here & why I'm getting the irrelevant tBills error saying I need a record in tBills also. Confused every which way atm.

Dal is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Sorry it was informing me that I hadn't put anything in the BillID field of the main form which did feed the tBills.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.