pbDudley is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Office 365

Create text field where it autopopulates when a certain amount of characters meet the criteria

Hello

I am creating a form where users will enter data, do some updates and then save all of the new records.
    Once all of the data is entered a user will enter his username and then save the records, or save the records (I have a button for that) one of the records being the username.

I want to know how to add this to a text field I'm thinking, where I add a text field, then would need VB on click or update that would recognize the first 2 or 3 characters of the username and populate the updated by field.

I have an access query that can pull from our in-house directory, so I already have all of the names.

For example, I start to type, Hen, and Henry populates, or something like that. It would be the same as how we add tags on this website, I just noticed this before I submitted this thread..

I could do a dropdown but it's a lot of users, so I'm trying to narrow the results down by using I'm assuming some sort of LIKE VB code in a VB module.

Thank you.

xps35 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Why should the user enter his username If that is already available (Environ("username")?
    How can you be sure he selects his own username?
    Groeten,

Peter

If you use a combo, you narrow it down as you type?
    Sounds as if your form is unbound? if you are trying to save multiple records in one go?
    What is there to stop me putting your name in that control?
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Yep combo box (based off of the names table you mentioned) is way to go as Welshgasman said as it handles the searching by letter for you. Or if you need it secure and need it to record the person actually updating the record, add a login screen and tie it to AD if you can. Then once they log in you have their info to tie to the updated records.

Windows 10 Office 365
    There isnt anything from stopping someone from doing that. I create these access databases to set up table structures and allow users to enter the needed information then some other contractors will incorporate it into a proper database.
    I can try the combo box, but yes, if someone hit save It would be nice to have it populate with the person who is using it, but for now perhaps the combo box will work.
    And Im not sure what unbound means, Ill have to google it, let me try the combo box, thanks.

Unbound means you are doing a lot of the work yourself. When bound, Access saves the data automatically when you move to another record, be it a new or existing one. So the records will get saved as you go to the next one. You said in first post 'enter all records, then save them', which leads me to believe the form would need to be unbound, but if you do not know what unbound is, that cannot be the case.
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Windows 10 Office 365
    Its not entering all of the records, its only filling in some new records, the majority of the records are being pulled from our oracle tables.
    The combo box worked for me, thanks

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.