rrphoenix is offline Novice
    Windows 11 Access 2016

Lightbulb Performing Supplier Invoice Audit - Help Requested

Background

Hello,

My company leadership asked me to design a process where we can place all the data from our supplier portal into a database. I already had Microsoft Access 2016, so I thought I would try it. I am learning Access and SQL, but still consider myself somewhat of a novice.

So far, I have imported the data for closed invoices from the supplier portal into a table in Access, and I have imported contract pricing data from our supplier into a separate table.

The Closed Invoices table contains every line item from every invoice, and each line item has information such as item number, description, quantity, price, customer, invoice date, etc. Of note, each line item from an invoice is its own record in its own row, but all line items/records pertaining to a single invoice have a field displaying the same invoice number. Ex: Three items from one invoice, each is its own record, and all three display the invoice number.

The Contract Pricing table contains the item numbers, descriptions, contract price per unit, and the data that price became effective.

Goal

Here is what I am trying to accomplish: I want to design a query where I can list each instance where an item was purchased during a period of time, and also show what the contract price which was effective at that time. From there, I am looking to identify where the supplier overcharged us by a variance of 15%.

Additional Information

At this time, I do not have any primary keys. I suspect I will need to build a relationship between the tables but I am unsure how to proceed since item numbers and invoice numbers are duplicated throughout. Is there a way to nest all items under a specific invoice number so as to reduce the number of individual records displaying an invoice number? That sounds like a separate issue but could still be help.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Duplication is one issue you can cause by not creating the proper tables needed. F'rinstance, you probably should have at least a table for
    - invoices
    - invoice lines
    - items
    - suppliers?
    - customers
    My suggestion would be to understand normalization at the least, and perhaps these other things too:
    https://www.accessforums.net/showthr...773#post521773
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

I assume you have an accounting department and software where supplier invoices are registered? Maybe first consult these data.

Hi
    Can you upload a copy of both tables with no confidential data?
    You can PM me if you need further help.
    Good Reading https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/off...on-description

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.