levihenry is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2021

How Can I Get Started with Programming?

I've been thinking about diving into programming lately, but I'm not sure where to begin. Can anyone give me some advice on how to get started? I'm looking for beginner-friendly resources or tips to help me grasp the basics.

dblife is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    You could do something simple like command line in Windows, if you're using Windows or Bash if Linux.
    VBA or visual basic for applications is also an excellent starter to help you start thinking the way programmers do and BASIC is written in a very friendly way.
    What sort of thing do you want to programme?
    Games?
    Video editor?
    File handling?
    Databases?

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    As dblife suggetsed, any of the BASIC languages are user friendly, and a great place to start! A class at your local community college would be a another good place to start...especially to leard about the logic involved in programming, regardless of the language!

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    You have Access and haven't done any coding in a database yet? Could start with an introductory book on Access. I expect there will be at least one chapter on VBA. Programming logic concepts are transferrable to any language. Here is a tutorial on basic concepts https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/programming-tutorial/. Then have to learn vocabulary and syntax for whatever language you want. An introduction for coding in Office products https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/of...-vba-in-office.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

twgonder is offline Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2021
    Or you could try it the old-fashioned way. Take a college or online class. Learn a few basic concepts about programming logic.
    Speaking of BASIC, that's a good place to start (beats Assembly, how I started).
    Then get into Access with the templates, maybe Northwind starter edition.
    Learn to use the VBA Editor and debug step commands, have fun figuring out what each line of code does.
    Gosh, it's too easy these days with VBA compared to write code on paper, go to punchcard machine, type it all in ejecting each card with an error, drop your stack at the operator's inbox, wait, get error printout, and start all over.

Edgar is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2016
    I started with a project I cared about. One that I was going to start using right away. However, it wasn't until I was able to write a loop on my own that I really thought I was programming. So, just do something you're actually going to use for yourself, feel proud, then improve it.
    Please click on the ⭐ below if this post helped you.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.