michaeltrombetta is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

How to find my database tables

My database is working, but I want to change the location of my database tables. I don't know how to find their current location. (Of course, I put them there 30 years ago, but I don't remember where I put them.)

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Go to the linked table manager - it will display all the current linked tables with the path

Presumably have not been backing them up then?
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

I had everything going well, but I accepted Microsoft's offer to increase my One Drive storage, and they screwed up my computer. Now when I start my database, I get a message that the content is not in a trusted location. I want to see where the database is, so I can move it to a trusted location.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    You can still see where the linked tables are stored from the linked table manager
    Or , depending on the linked database type, you can look at the Connect / Database fields in the MSysObjects system table
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Quote Originally Posted by michaeltrombetta View Post
    I had everything going well, but I accepted Microsoft's offer to increase my One Drive storage, and they screwed up my computer. Now when I start my database, I get a message that the content is not in a trusted location. I want to see where the database is, so I can move it to a trusted location.
    Or you could make the current location Trusted?
    Regardless, you have to know where the BE is.
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Trusted Location not Trusted

I used the linked tables tool to see where the tables are stored. Then I used the Access tools to see the trusted locations. The images I have attached show the tables are stored in a trusted location. But the last image shows Access refusing to run because the Menu Item is not in a trusted location. There is an old screenshot of the database location, involving One Drive. Since One Drive caused all the trouble, I deleted that folder, but accidentally included that screenshot. The current database location shows they are in my Sync folder, and another screenshot shows that the Sync folder is a trusted location. I'm using Access 2007; do you think I should upgrade to the current Access.
    PS Thank you, I would never have been able to get this far without your help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-24 191149.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	51628
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Database Locations New.png   Trusted locations.png  

davegri is offline Excess Access
    Windows 11 Access 2019
    First off the OP has not stated where the DB that he has opened is located. If it has been relocated to OneDrive, it needs to be moved from there to a trusted location on his local machine.
    Then he can locate his tables as below.

I don't think OP has verified that the DB is split, but in any case, hovering over a table name in the Navigation Pane will reveal much.

If the DB is not split, you will see this. DB is not split. Just make current location trusted or move the .accdb or .mdb file to a trusted location (and OFF of oneDrive).

Name:	hoverlocal.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	51631

Next
    DB is split into a FrontEnd and Backend. The hover display shows the location of the BackEnd. Get if OFF oneDrive and into a trusted location on local machine. Then try and relink tables via linked table manager.

Name:	hoversplit.png 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	51633

And Next
    The DB is split. The BE is stored in a file server that may or may not be located on your machine. If the FE is on oneDrive, move it to your local machine. Then try and relink tables via linked table manager.

Name:	hoverSQL.png 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	51634

Windows 11 Access 2019
    I don't think you want your mdb file in a sync folder. As I understand it, by definition, files in sync folders are automatically synchronized with files in oneDrive. However I've disabled oneDrive on my system from the start, so my experience with oneDrive is limited. You can Google How OneDrive Works to get an understanding how you might cohabit more peacefully with oneDrive.

You were smart to bypass One Drive. Right now I'm trying to get my files moved to areas not under One Drive.

Again thank you. In my anxiety I read my file locations incorrectly. Now I see that both front end and back end are under One Drive. Now at least I know what the problem is.

Windows 11 Access 2019
    Glad to help. Try creating a folder under Documents named MyDatabases. Move your FE and BE there. Set it as a trusted location including its subfolders. Make sure it's not synced. Run the FE and use linked table manager to link the BE tables.
    As far as oneDrive - I find it odd that if someone asked you to upload all your files to their file server for safekeeping, that no one would be suspicious of motives. But then to demand PAYMENT for you to do so is beyond belief! Do you even imagine that if Microsoft found that their servers had been compromised that they would ever disclose it?

Thank you, I will try that today, but One Drive has so messed up my computer I am having some trouble getting back in control.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.