hansdbase is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 11 Access 2021

Suggestion List

Any suggestions on how to create a list of possible values that a user can enter into a column. I don't mean a validation list. I mean that they may not be familiar with all the possible values that could be entered into the column and they may not choose all of your suggestions but they may choose some of them. For instance, if the table was about what software systems their department has, they could just enter in each row what they recall they use. But if they had a list of all potential software systems, they could just choose from that list. Any ideas? Thanks.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    You definitely don't mean a 'validation list'
    Use a combo box or listbox with the list of options. The combo box row source can be a value list where you enter them manually but a far better method is to use a table or query

You can restrict the list so users cannot enter other values or allow additions

if the table was about what software systems their department has, they could just enter in each row what they recall they use.
    That sounds like multivalue fields which are generally considered to be a bad idea
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Since multi-selection is wanted (at least that's how I interpret this) then definitely a list box on a form. If they need a list value that is not there then one approach would be to use a command button to either update the listbox rowsource with value(s) entered into text boxes on the form, or open a form that is specific to this purpose (research list items edit form property). While a combo is easier to add list items to, it doesn't allow for multi select unless it's bound to a multi value field and as noted, you don't really want to do that.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Let's assume the field in form's source table (e.g. tblYourSourceTable) is YourEntryField. In form, use for this field a combo box (e.g. cbbYourEntryField) as form control. Set the RowSource for this control as query like:
    'SELECT DISTINCT YourEntryField FROM tblYourSourceTable ORDER BY 1'
    Set the combo's properties as ColumnCount = 1, and LimitToList as False (and rest of them as usual).
    That's all!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.