Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    epardo87 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2016

If record in subform exists then...

Hello there,

So I have this button PN2001Btn that represents a product, this is inside a form POS where new orders are recorded. There is a subform called SalesDetailsSF which is Child6 inside the POS form creating the list of products that the new sale order will have. This button already fills a new record with the predetermined product and it also fills up the corresponding price.

What I need is that if that product was already there, then it sums the QTY up another number, but if it's not there then to continue adding a new record, I have tried a couple of things without success...

this is the code I have so far, but it only adds new records on each click, you can see the image of the form below so that you get an idea of what it is about (the button would be one of the bowls filling up the subform on the left, parent and child forms are connected by the SO

Code:
    Private Sub PN2001Btn_Click()

Dim PCode As Integer
        Dim LPrice As Variant
        Dim PPrice As Variant
        Dim ProdName As Variant

PCode = 2001

LPrice = DLookup("[PrecioL]", "[Precios]", "[PN]=" & PCode)
                 PPrice = DLookup("[PrecioP]", "[Precios]", "[PN]=" & PCode)
                 ProdName = DLookup("[Producto]", "[Products]", "[PN]=" & PCode)

Me.Child6.SetFocus
                 DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec
                 Me.Child6.Form.Producto = ProdName

If Me.SaleType = "Local" Then
                     Me.Child6.Form.Precio = LPrice
                 Else
                     Me.Child6.Form.Precio = PPrice
                 End If

End Sub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-02 003208.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	51413

You would need to walk through the recordsetclone and see if that product exists.
    If it does, increment the amount, if not add that new record.

No need to look up the prices if it exists either?
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Quote Originally Posted by Welshgasman View Post
    You would need to walk through the recordsetclone and see if that product exists.
    If it does, increment the amount, if not add that new record.

No need to look up the prices if it exists either?
    I'm trying the recodserclone, but i'm kind of stuck, doing some tests, I have the code below, it successfully detects if the SO exists, but i'm kind of stuck, what I need it to find is a record with that SO and that PN, but i dont know hot to write that, here are the details again:
    Form SOP contains a button PN2001Btn which on click is going to do the following code. in order to solve my problem I just need it to successfully find if there is already a record within the subform which has that same SO and that PN(subform is Child6 inside the form and it containsa form called SalesDetailsSB)

Code:
        Dim rst As Recordset    Dim SOSearch As String

Set rst = Me.RecordsetClone
        SOSearch = Str(Me.SO)
        rst.FindFirst "SO = " & SOSearch
            If rst.NoMatch Then
                MsgBox "not found"
            Else
                MsgBox "found"
            End If
        rst.Close

Windows 10 Access 2016
    What is the data type of SO? My guess is text because you can't start a number type with 0. Thus you must delimit text based variables passed as parameters (and date/time values, but with # for those). Try
    "SO = ' " & SOSearch & " ' "
    Remove the spaces between the quotes. I only wrote them so you could see the single quote marks.

EDIT - then again, you say what you posted works to find the SO so I think you can ignore the above.
    If FindFirst produces a match then that record becomes the current record. Since you're using rs clone I think you'd have to bookmark it, then return to the form recordset, go to that record (make it current by using the bookmark) and up the count by one. Note that in order for any of this to work you must not allow the duplicate to be entered (saved as a record), otherwise the duplicate will remain. You should always show what event your code is in otherwise we're asking or suggesting when it may already be correct. Sorry if I missed that info, but I'd say the event has to be form BeforeUpdate.
    Last edited by Micron; 02-02-2024 at 12:17 PM. Reason: clarification
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    What is the data type of SO? My guess is text because you can't start a number type with 0. Thus you must delimit text based variables passed as parameters (and date/time values, but with # for those). Try
    "SO = ' " & SOSearch & " ' "
    Remove the spaces between the quotes. I only wrote them so you could see the single quote marks.

EDIT - then again, you say what you posted works to find the SO so I think you can ignore the above.
    It is an autonumber with formatting to 4 digits

Windows 10 Access 2016
    You did not do this directly in table design, correct (because I don't think you can do so to autonumber field)? You did it somewhere else and used the Format function? Then its data type would be text. However, not sure if this all matters because you say the lookup works. Note that I made changes to my prior post which you may not have noticed.

You did not do this directly in table design, correct (because I don't think you can do so to autonumber field)? You did it somewhere else and used the Format function? Then its data type would be text. However, not sure if this all matters because you say the lookup works. Note that I made changes to my prior post which you may not have noticed.
    Yes, originally there is table Sales, which contains the autonumber, so that SO field in the parent form is directly pulled from there. the thing is, i made the code find the SO within the subform but I havent been able to find the product with that SO

I consider myself a quick learner but I think specifically this issue is an advanced level I just can't seem to understand as easy

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Could be a lack of thorough understanding of what's what on our part. Consider copying your db, compact/repair the copy, zip it and posting that. Although it appears to work, you cannot paste files or pics into a post. You can remove everything from the copy that's not required for this issue - just make sure there's enough there to replicate the process and problem. See "how to attach files" at the top of this page if you need it. There is also a way to edit field data to "cloak" it if you need to - here's one version of that in these forums: https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=77482

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I agree with micron - it would be better for communication and solution if you could post what you have so everyone is dealing with a common issue. The evolving database and any documentation and design materials would be most helpful.
    As with most databases with issues ---getting a working copy with clear instructions to the readers is often an efficient path to solving.

Could be a lack of thorough understanding of what's what on our part. Consider copying your db, compact/repair the copy, zip it and posting that. Although it appears to work, you cannot paste files or pics into a post. You can remove everything from the copy that's not required for this issue - just make sure there's enough there to replicate the process and problem. See "how to attach files" at the top of this page if you need it. There is also a way to edit field data to "cloak" it if you need to - here's one version of that in these forums: https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=77482
    Ok, I've deleted all extra data just to leave what works for this, the form POS is the one with the button, I have only the first working button, you'll find code in the SaleType afterupdate event and the PN2001Btn on click event
    Attached Files Attached Files

Vstar920AZ♣ is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    If you are just wanting to know if a record "exists", I would use If (Dcount("[Field]","Table" i.e. the subForm recordsource, Criteria Here "[SO_Nbr]=" & Variable & "[ProductCode]='" & variable "'" . . .). >0 Then . . . If you get > 0 then there is a record.
    If your recordset is very large, you may need to write the query in code, and do a recordset operation. https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...rdsets.225340/
    But, if the question is "Exists or not" that is essentially a yes no answer which should be doable by the Dcount function.

Quote Originally Posted by Vstar920AZ♣ View Post
    If you are just wanting to know if a record "exists", I would use If (Dcount("[Field]","Table" i.e. the subForm recordsource, Criteria Here "[SO_Nbr]=" & Variable & "[ProductCode]='" & variable "'" . . .). >0 Then . . . If you get > 0 then there is a record.
    If your recordset is very large, you may need to write the query in code, and do a recordset operation. https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...rdsets.225340/
    But, if the question is "Exists or not" that is essentially a yes no answer which should be doable by the Dcount function.
    I'm trying this, but it has an error on the way im writting the DCount line, I dont know if thats the correct way to have if search within the subform:

Code:
        Dim PCode As Integer    Dim LPrice As Variant
        Dim PPrice As Variant
        Dim ProdName As Variant

PCode = 2001

If (DCount("[Producto]", "[Child6]", ProdName)) > 0 Then
            MsgBox "found"
        Else
            MsgBox "doesnt exist"
        End If

Vstar920AZ♣ is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

If DCount("[Producto]", "[Child6]", "[Producto]='" & ProdName & "'") > 0 Then 'Product name value will not be available inside the quotes, it must be in the base code. Type it in lower case, if it snaps back to your capitalization, then the code can see it.
    MsgBox "found"
    Else
    MsgBox "doesnt exist"
    End If

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.