Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jimruns919 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2019

Opening Database on Others computers

I built an access database and everything works great on my system.

I split the database and everything still works great so i added the front end to a users system and made their desktop trusted and all the tables are linked to a location on the server where everyone has access.

It opens without any errors and shows the log on form. If the user logs in with the wrong password it states the password is incorrect. If the password is the default password I put in which opens the form to change the password, it works.

However, if they log on with a user who has already changed their password, it will not show an error or show the next form. I am completely stumped.

The fact that they can open the password change form seems to mean that it is working, but I cannot figure out why it will not open the next main menu form when logged in correctly.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    To be clear, you're saying that this is not the way it works on your pc with you logged in? Then there may be an issue with your code but I think we'd have zero idea where to look at this point. Any chance you can copy db, compact/repair and zip the copy and post it?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimruns919 View Post
    I built an access database and everything works great on my system.

I split the database and everything still works great so i added the front end to a users system and made their desktop trusted and all the tables are linked to a location on the server where everyone has access.

It opens without any errors and shows the log on form. If the user logs in with the wrong password it states the password is incorrect. If the password is the default password I put in which opens the form to change the password, it works.

However, if they log on with a user who has already changed their password, it will not show an error or show the next form. I am completely stumped.

The fact that they can open the password change form seems to mean that it is working, but I cannot figure out why it will not open the next main menu form when logged in correctly.
    Well the fault will likely lie with your logic for logging in?

Show your code. Better still upload enough to show the issue.
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Windows 10 Access 2019
    On my computer, it hesitates but it runs correctly on my computer with me logged in.

When I log onto the test computer as me and then run the front end, it does the same thing.

If I log on as any user with the temp password, it will open the Change Password form and the user can update their password to the table and close the form but it still will not open the Main menu form.

I can upload it.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    You probably will have to provide a password for your profile. The rest we can easily figure out as long as the table password field is not encrypted.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

Windows 10 Access 2019

Database having issues

here is the database. the Exit macro works. The change password form works but the main menu will not load when you click Login
    Attached Files Attached Files

Windows 10 Access 2016
    You probably will have to provide a password for your profile.
    and it looks to me like you left out a back end that contains the user table(s)

EDIT - maybe not. Perhaps my efforts to relink where not entirely successful. Hang on, trying again.

Windows 10 Access 2019
    And just so you know.

There are only 2 users on this version. Kim and her password is Password and Jim and his password is 12345

Windows 10 Access 2016
    OK, relinked. But it takes 50 seconds for me to open user table with only 2 records. Slowness like that might be a problem for me. I will see what I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimruns919 View Post
    here is the database. the Exit macro works. The change password form works but the main menu will not load when you click Login
    Too new for me.
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I think your problem is that you open the login form modally but don't close it in code. When I step through (F8) the line to open menu form executes, screen flashes as though menu form opened but because you don't close the login form, it is preventing menu form from showing. I didn't test to see if it actually loaded hidden or not. I changed to
    Code:
     If Userlevel < 9 Then
                        DoCmd.Close acForm, "Login_FRM"
                        DoCmd.OpenForm "MainMenu_FRM"
    and successfully opened the menu form under your credentials. Then I used Kim credentials and was prompted to change the password. Then I changed the password to the new one as I presumed that would be the required thing to do. Then the menu form opened.

If that change does what you want then it may need to be applied elsewhere as well. Like what if level is not < 9?
    Last edited by Micron; 01-30-2024 at 11:17 AM. Reason: clarification

Windows 10 Access 2019
    That did not do it on my end. I even changed the form to open to be the MainMenu_FRM but it will not open, so I am thinking the issue is on the Main menu form.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Forgot to mention that I set menu form modal property to No. I don't think a modal form will open if there is already a modal form open.

Windows 10 Access 2019
    Changing modal to no still didnt open the main menu. It does react as if it is opening something and there is not an error, but nothing is there.

Windows 10 Access 2019
    I figured it out. I changed the Main menu to Modal = Yes and now it opens.

Thank you for the help. Without your direction I would not have arrived at the solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.