Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    don911no is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2002

F to C conversion formula?

In Access 2002, I have a field [Temp F] with the temperature in Fahrenheit that I want to convert in separate field in Celsius using an update query. How would I write this formula in the 'Update To" field of a query?

The formula for Fahrenheit to Celsius conversion is either (Temperature in degrees Fahrenheit - 32) divided by 1.8 or (Temperature in degrees Fahrenheit - 32) * 5/9.

I can get the first part [Temp F]-"32" to work, but I can't figure out how to then divide or multiply the result with the values above.

Quote Originally Posted by don911no View Post
    In Access 2002, I have a field [Temp F] with the temperature in Fahrenheit that I want to convert in separate field in Celsius using an update query. How would I write this formula in the 'Update To" field of a query?

The formula for Fahrenheit to Celsius conversion is either (Temperature in degrees Fahrenheit - 32) divided by 1.8 or (Temperature in degrees Fahrenheit - 32) * 5/9.

I can get the first part [Temp F]-"32" to work, but I can't figure out how to then divide or multiply the result with the values above.
    Seriously?
    What are you struggling with, you have the formula?

Code:
    tempF = 70
    tempC = (tempF-32)*5/9
    ? tempc
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Windows XP Access 2002
    I have the formula but I don't know how to write it correctly in the 'Update To' field. In other fields that I update, that take/duplicte data from other fields, I put the name of the 'from' field within brackets at the start, i.e. [Temp F] in this case. So how do I write the formula if I have to start with the data field name within brackets? Or is there another way to get data from another field without using brackets? Using (Temp F-32)*5/9 gives me an error. But [Temp F]-"32" will at least work to produce the Fahrenheit value minus 32. So I assume I have to start with [Temp F] and go from there?

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 11 Office 365
    is there another way to get data from another field without using brackets
    Depending on how far along you are in development, using a proper naming convention would work.
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

Windows XP Access 2002
    Sorry, but I don't work with Access professionally or have a good knowledge about databases in general. I just use MS Access to collect personal daily data that I find interesting, as it works better for this purpose than Excel (which I'm good at ). And I'm just stuck on how to enter this formula properly to make Access do the conversion.

As you can calculate the C from the F, you should not really store it, just store the F, and just calculate each time you need it.

Use a select until you get it correct
    SELECT tblTemp.TempF, Round(([TempF]-32)*5/9,2) AS Expr1
    FROM tblTemp;

Then if you absolutely have to store it

UPDATE tblTemp SET tblTemp.TempC = Round(([TempF]-32)*5/9,2);
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TempC.JPG  

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    What WGM said. It is seldom a good idea to store the result of calculations in a table. Your issue here is the result of using spaces in names. See
    - http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0012.htm
    - https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...d.php?t=225837

Your solution is probably ([Temp F]-32)*5/9 but I didn't test that.
    EDIT - apologies, I overlooked where this was already suggested. You probably don't need round though if decimals are not required and you use this instead: ([Temp F]-32)*5\9
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows XP Access 2002
    Thank you so much to both of you for your help! Round(([TempF]-32)*5/9,2) worked perfectly since I wanted 2 decimals. Also, before I ran the update query, I noticed that the data type was set to Memo, so I changed it to number as well as removed the spaces in the field names. Perhaps these two issues were the main reason it didn't work initially? Anyway, thanks again!

The data type should likely be decimal as well?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Initially it didn't work for various reasons. You had space in field name so must be enclosed [in brackets]. When you did that, you made 32 a string ( "32" ) so also not good. Now that you have TempF you don't need brackets around it. That's the whole point of not using spaces or special characters in object names (save for perhaps underscore, which I don't usually use) and not starting an object name with a number.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 11 Office 365
    @Micron - Many years ago I read an article stating not to use numbers at the start of an object name (I never have). It gave the reasons why. Since then I've seen many posts with numbers as the beginning of table and form names and I've looked for that article several times with no luck. Any Idea as to the why?
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

Windows 10 Access 2016
    IIRC, starting a name with a number means you must enclose the name in brackets. Other than that it works. It was something uploaded here I think, by someone else so not used by me either.

Windows XP Access 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Welshgasman View Post
    The data type should likely be decimal as well?
    I changed the Field Size from Single to Decimal (with 2 decimals), but got a warning when saving and then the decimals were removed in the table. Also, before that change, the Fahrenheit field was set to Single and 0 decimals and the Celsius field was set to Single with 2 decimals, yet, the Fahrenheit field shows 2 decimals in the table and the Celsius field 3 decimals. Seems weird.

Windows XP Access 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    Initially it didn't work for various reasons. You had space in field name so must be enclosed [in brackets]. When you did that, you made 32 a string ( "32" ) so also not good. Now that you have TempF you don't need brackets around it. That's the whole point of not using spaces or special characters in object names (save for perhaps underscore, which I don't usually use) and not starting an object name with a number.
    The quotation marks around 32 were added by Access once I clicked save. To learn, I tried to change the now working formula to remove the brackets (TempF-32)*5/9 but that didn't work. I then tried to change it to the second F to C formula instead, but I could not get that to work either. That formula is F-32/1.8 instead of F-32*5/9. But Round(([TempF]-32)*1.8,2) did not work. This is hard! If you have time to explain to me why that is, that would be great. If not, that's OK too since I already have a working formula now.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Sorry, you're confusing me with F-32 vs TempF-32 and "didn't work" tells us nothing. I'm quite literal, and sometimes it's an asset and sometimes it's not. Maybe didn't work" has something to do with the fact that 5/9 (rounded) is .56 and not 1.8 if you're going from F to C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.