Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    sheckay is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Office 365

Security layer to signing off with initials

Hello. Is there's a way to set up a cell (used as a signature box) in Access to take in a secret code (per user) that gets matched up with their corresponding signature (initials)? Example, Mike Smith can't just enter MS. He would enter his code 5XR4T when he does MS will appear in the signature box. Is this possible? I need to be able to offer a way of preventing other users from entering someone else's initials in the signoff box. And I figured if there's a way to set up each user with their own secret code that they enter, instead of their initials that would help. I know this is a strange question. Thanks in advance.

Edgar is online now Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2016
    Two factor authentication is in no way a strange necessity, it's so common it has a name. Here's a strategy:
    1. User signs in with this credentials
    2. The app then generates a key
    3. The app inserts the key with the attempt to sign in
    4. The app sends key via SMS to your user
    5. The app shows the user a textbox to enter the key that was sent
    6. User finally enters
    Please click on the ⭐ below if this post helped you.

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 11 Office 365
    Not that Access is secure, but you could try something like this
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I don't know where or if you want to store this activity as a record but one other way of doing things is to just use their Windows Login name (not their password). I doubt you have anyone there who could spoof that. If their login names are not suitable, you can get their credentials from their user table record. Again, they could not fake that. This assumes that you're not using a shared login (everyone just sits down and does stuff without having to sign in) and that no one shares a pc login; i.e. you cannot use my pc with me logged in for whatever it is you're doing. This could have the added benefit that it might expose any shared logins when a record has my initials on it but should not.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Thank you for your reply. But I'm not inquiring about authentication into an app. I'm asking about a user, who's already using the Access DB, signing their initials into a box (a signature box) via a code given to them. Instead of just entering their initials. Doing this to prevent another DB user from being able to enter someone else's initials in the signature box. They would only be able to do that if they know that person's secret code. So all users would be given their personal secret code, they would enter that code into the signature box, their code would match up with what has been set up (if this is possible), and the outcome would be that their initials would appear in the box. The signature box would only accept the outcome of the code to initials outcome.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Hi Moke123....thank you for that. I didn't even think of that. It looks like there's more to do there. I don't see the corresponding initials as the outcome of what's displayed in a signature box. But you may have pointed me in the right direction. I hope I can figure out how to make that. And if I do, I hope it wouldn't be unable to be used due to codes being changed at a later point or something.
    You know I was digesting what you suggested. And I think I may have caught up with your idea. Are you suggesting that I add a box for the code, which hides the code entered. And a separate box would display the initials that correspond with the code that was entered?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Not clear if 'secret code' sharing is allowed or not:
    all users would be given their personal secret code

They would only be able to do that if they know that person's secret code.
    If not, then what I suggested will work as described. Just about anything you can think of can be done; it's just a matter of which way is best for the business.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Yeah, they share the computer without having to log in as themselves.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sheckay View Post
    Yeah, they share the computer without having to log in as themselves.
    Not ideal, but it is what it is. Then yes, if user inputs a valid password you can assign pretty much what you want as a flag that they cannot manually enter. It won't prevent personation.

Windows 8 Access 2016
    Do you have a sample database to look at your signature box?

Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Windows 10 Office 365
    The only signaure box I have at the moment is a drop down list of initials. But that is what needs to be changed, so that a user can only enter their own initials.

Windows 8 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sheckay View Post
    The only signaure box I have at the moment is a drop down list of initials. But that is what needs to be changed, so that a user can only enter their own initials.
    Why not just removing the combobox and placing an empty textbox there?

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 11 Office 365
    Are you suggesting that I add a box for the code, which hides the code entered.
    No. The textbox is to enter the code and display the initials. The listbox is just there to show you the initials and codes for testing. I used the Password mask to hide the code being entered, In case of prying eyes. In the exit event of the textbox it checks the code against the table and if good it removes the input mask and displays the initials. I set the comparison as case sensitive.
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

Windows 10 Office 365
    Then anyone would be able to type in any initials they want to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.