Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    willkr is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2019
    Wow, a lot to catch up on.

pbaldy, I modified the test app to open a form on start-up and then clicked on the documentation button (with the "?" on it). It works fine.
    I added option specific to all the text boxes in the original app - no change.
    It works fine on the .accdb and .accde versions and it works fine on the .accdr version of the test app. Now, I can't seem to get the test app to fail.

CJ, I removed the stLinkCriteria string variable as well - no change.

Here's another strange thing.
    On the full version, when I do a File/Save As (to compile it) - then select Make ACCDE - then click the "Save As" button - it brings up the "Save As" dialog box (as it should), but if I wait for 8 to 10 seconds, it bombs-out (that's a technical term) and closes down. And - when I start the app up again it wants to start in safe mode because it says that Access couldn't start last time.

If, however, I hurry through the Save As process, clicking the "save" button and allowing it to overwrite the existing .accde file, it appears to complete the compile process, but about 8 to 10 seconds after I clicked the "Save As" button it
    bombs-out and the next time I start it up, it tells me that it failed to start last and wants to go to safe mode. The .accde version works fine and includes any changes that I made (so it appears to have compiled), but the .accdr version still has the same issues.

When I compile the test version, it compiles with no problem and it works fine in .accdb, .accde, and .accdr versions.

Help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope!

willkr

Windows 10 Access 2019
    Oops, didn't mean to post this.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    it would help if you used the correct terminology. Failing to do so leads us to question what you actually have and what you are actually doing

I added option specific to all the text boxes in the original app - no change.
    I presume you mean Option Explicit and all the modules

On the full version, when I do a File/Save As (to compile it)
    that does not compile it. To compile, in the VBA window select Debug>Compile. Fix any errors until the Compile option is greyed out.

That may be the root of all your problems

When I compile the test version, it compiles with no problem and it works fine in .accdb, .accde, and .accdr versions.
    so compare the code you are using in the test version with the cod ein your main app

Windows 10 Access 2019
    CJ, Thanks for educating me. I will try to use the correct terminology.

When I did a Google search for how to create a .accde file it said to simply do a save as and specify .accde. That's why I did it that way. I assumed that an .accde was a compiled version.

Actually, part of the confusion is that back in my day, when you compiled code, it converted the human readable code into machine code. So, I assumed the same was true with VBA.

Now, when I go to the VBE and click on Debug>Compile it doesn't seem to do anything. Is that because it doesn't detect any errors? The compile option is now greyed out. I assume that I then save it as an .accde?

I did a save-as and specified .accde. Then, just as before, after 8 to 10 seconds, it bombed-out, but it created the .accde which works fine until I change it to an .accdr.

Finally, the code in the test version is the same as in the full version.

willkr

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    When I did a Google search for how to create a .accde file it said to simply do a save as and specify .accde.
    In order to create a .accde, the code needs to compile without error. That does not mean the compiled code will run successfully as you can still get runtime errors. If you don't compile, any compile errors will be reported at runtime.

back in my day, when you compiled code, it converted the human readable code into machine code. So, I assumed the same was true with VBA.
    it actually creates pseudo code. Pseudo code can still be read by humans to a certain extent in that if you inspect it you can see things like variable and function names and a few other details.
    Now, when I go to the VBE and click on Debug>Compile it doesn't seem to do anything.
    Just means it's compiled OK - you don't get a message as such
    Then, just as before, after 8 to 10 seconds, it bombed-out, but it created the .accde which works fine until I change it to an .accdr.

Finally, the code in the test version is the same as in the full version.
    and the test version doesn't bomb out and works OK as a .accdr? If so, implies there is something wrong with your app file. So two final suggestions, try one, then the other

1. decompile then recompile your code - see this link https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...se-application
    2. create a new db and import all your queries, forms, reports and modules plus linked tables from you app. Your tables should be in a separate back end file. If they are not then create another new db and import your tables then in your new front end, use the linked table manage to create the linked tables

There is no benefit in creating a .accde of your back end since .accde's only protect forms, reports and modules from user interference. But now create your .accde of the new front end.

Does that solve your problem?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.