Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    twgonder is offline Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2021

Check if an index value exists

I've got a validation procedure that runs before update in forms.
    It has some basic testing if a record exists, or doesn't exist, for a field that is a foreign key or nonduplicate using DLookup.

Recently, I've got a record save that needs to check for duplicates on a compound index (meaning it's constructed of more than one field).
    At present it comes back as RTE 3022, but I would like to catch it in the generalize validation procedure.
    Is there a programatic way to read an index for a table and see if an index value is there?

My search didn't turn up anything on this.

Thanks

Why can't you do just a simple Dcount() of the fields in question?
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Did you write you are already using DLookup on your 2 fields to see if you have a record already?

Windows 10 Access 2021
    Responding to both #2 & #3, I think.

I've got a table for the validations of all forms, so the procedure is generic code.
    At the moment it checks just one field using DLookup, and not all the fields are indexed, as it may be against a small helper table.
    Since there may be a future application that use 2, 3 or more indexed fields, it would be nice to just index those fields, and then do a test against the index.
    So, the idea is to do a test somewhat like the DLookup to test for the existence of an index value (then an error msg about a duplicate), rather than creating n fields of possible validations that have to be anded.

I assume the index is an object that can be accessed, I just haven't seen an example of how to do it.

I don't expect anyone to understand this snippet without seeing all the code and validation table,
    but I would be just adding a small test to this code for seeing if the index value exists:

Code:
      '* Test relational lookups

If fValdt(ValCol, 13) <> "" And FldVal <> "" Then  'if lookup doesn't exist then error
        temp1 = "ID="
        If Left(fValdt(ValCol, 2), 2) = "Nu" Or fValdt(ValCol, 2) = "Cu" And IsNumeric(FldVal) Then temp1 = temp1 & Str(FldVal) Else temp1 = temp1 & fQt(FldVal)
        temp2 = DLookup(fValdt(ValCol, 14), fValdt(ValCol, 13), temp1) 'get a field from a foreign record
        temp3 = DLookup("Ps", fValdt(ValCol, 13), temp1) 'get processing status for the related record
        If IsNull(temp2) Or temp3 = 0 Or (fValdt(ValCol, 15) <> "" And fSaLocate(fValdt(ValCol, 15), CStr(Nz(temp2, ""))) = 0) Then
          pSp(2) = fValdt(ValCol, 13)
          sAddStatus Frm, fCntl, fTranltLang(TempVars!loLangID, "3_Ie51", "H", pSp), fCntl(6, 1), , , aValAll
          gError = nProc & "\51": GoTo ExitCd
        ElseIf fValdt(ValCol, 14) = "GrpN" Then
          temp2 = fSaExtract(fValdt(ValCol, 13), 3, "_")
          temp3 = DLookup("LvlN", fValdt(ValCol, 13), temp1)
          If temp2 = "Group" And temp3 <> 1 Then
            sAddStatus Frm, fCntl, fTranltLang(TempVars!loLangID, "3_Ie52", "H", pSp), fCntl(6, 1), , , aValAll
            gError = nProc & "\52": GoTo ExitCd
          End If
        End If
      End If

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    An index is an object stored within the indexes collection of a table. Only way to verify if a specific value is stored within that index is to use dlookup/count or sql

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Yes not sure I understand why so complicated, do a Dlookup on whatever fields you use for the index that would make it a duplicate record and prompt them in code that there is a duplicate and to change one of the fields or if you can automatically change a value to make it not a duplicate and save the record? Look at BeforeInsert event I believe.

Windows 10 Access 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulzie View Post
    Yes not sure I understand why so complicated, .
    Well, the Access team did it at update time with an index when not allowing a duplicate compound index, and throwing RTE 3022. So I agree, it shouldn't be so complicated/difficult for us developers to catch the error before update.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Really not clear what you are suggesting - you can create a unique compound index. To pre check for duplicates in sql server you would use sql same as access.

in management studio you do have an alternative as documented here
    https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservert...nd-index-data/
    I’ve never used it so no idea whether it would fulfill your needs but would appear it is still an action you would need to undertake before saving the data -so what would be the benefit?

Perhaps you are talking about the equivalent of using dbfailonerror for recordsets? But you still need to handle the error.

if you are talking about examining the index to see what fields it is based on so you then know how to create your checking method, that can be done. Away from my computer right now but guessing it would be something like

tabledefs(tableName).indexes(indexname).fields(i). name

And one other avenue to perhaps explore - the form error function - that can trap an error after a failed save.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    If it's a unique composite index it is unique by definition and managed by the the database management system (Access). If you made your composite index unique, then I don't see why further checking is needed. I am not a SQLServer person.

Windows 10 Access 2021
    For #8 & #9

I'll try a simple example:

Existing record
    TableT, Record1
    Field1 = "A"
    Field2 = "X"
    A composite index is made using Field1 and Field2, and this is set to No Duplicates.
    "A" can be duplicated, as can "X", just not "A,X"

A user, using a form is about to save a new record with a duplicate of Field1 and Field2 (A,X).
    A SAVE button triggers a save via Me.Dirty = False
    Which then calls the Form_BeforeUpdate procedure, which then calls the validation procedure.
    Here I want to test for the existence of the index, to make sure A,X isn't a duplicate, and display an error on a special error form.
    The Me.Dirty, back a level in the procedure stack runs after the validation check, which then gets RTE 3022, which I can capture,
    The problem is, it's too late to add the error message to the form that displayed validation errors.

There is a way to make the validation multivalued, and then check for the existence of all the indexed fields, but this would be a more complicated bit of code, and complicate the form that creates the validations as well.

What I would like to do is have a simple line of code that could build the index value, and test for an already existing index, in the validation routine.
    The validation routine is all parameterized, for dozens of forms/tables/fields, so I can't do custom code for just this one form.

It seems that I have to go with the more complicated solution, of a multivalued parameter to test the fields together, unless I can get straight to testing an index value existence.

A RTE of 3022 happens, as far as I can tell, nothing happens in Form_Error.

Windows 10 Access 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    If it's a unique composite index it is unique by definition and managed by the the database management system (Access). If you made your composite index unique, then I don't see why further checking is needed. I am not a SQLServer person.
    I've done the composite index. What I avoid in my forms is the cryptic, pop-up Access error messages that are meaningless to the users. I do this by trapping errors in my own generalized validation routine. This way I can also log the errors.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240115Index01.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	51330

CJ_London is offline VIP
    A RTE of 3022 happens, as far as I can tell, nothing happens in Form_Error.
    Works for me - see this very simple example
    Attached Files Attached Files

Windows 10 Access 2021

Different and odd

@#12 Different error, created a different way, not using Me.dirty = false and other procedures present.

Here's a list of procedures (below) that ran, if Form_Error had of run it would be in the list.

Also, I tried modifying your table, but I can't seem to get the composite index to index with no duplicates, as my table allows.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240115Index03.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	51333
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20240115Index02.png  

Windows 10 Access 2021

New improved Database29

Update on #13

It seems my Access updated today, when I didn't see it.
    Some things, like the index properties appear different, hence my confusion.

Try this update to the Database29.accdb.
    Run the form, change record three, Field 2 to "aaa", then press the SAVE button. For me Form_Error doesn't run, just a RTE.
    Attached Files Attached Files

CJ_London is offline VIP
    so use an error handler such as

Code:
    Private Sub Command9_Click()

On Error GoTo errhandler
      Me.Dirty = False

errhandler:
      MsgBox "oops!" & Err.Number

End Sub
    or

Code:
    Private Sub Command9_Click()

On Error resume next
       Me.Dirty = False
       if err<>0 then MsgBox "oops!" & Err.Number

End Sub

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.