jyarnell is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Randomize same 6 questions on multi-tab form each time form is opened

I am creating a multi-tab data entry form. (Windows 10, Access 2007-2016) One tab needs to have 6 questions in a random order each time the form is opened. Each of those 6 questions has 4 option groups attached. A sample of the questions is below. Never tried anything like this before. I kind of get how to randomize the questions, but how do I then attach the right option groups with the question and display it all on the form? Is this even possible?

Example: Rank the following masks based on your likelihood to use them when exposed to air pollution (traffic/industrial) for 3 consecutive full days at high levels. (If possible, we would like to randomize this question through the next six.)
    Another chart. Select the bubble. Columns = Surgical Mask, KN95, N95 respirator, Half-face respirator. Rows= 1 (Least Likely) to 4 (most likely). Note: Subjects should only be able to assign each number once since it will be a ranking.

Thanks in advance for any help or hints!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I am trying to picture how 1 question has 4 option groups.

If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I bit confusing. I imagine there are four options for each/some questions. It would not make sense to have 4 groups, especially if each group contained one option. This
    Columns = Surgical Mask, KN95, N95 respirator, Half-face respirator.
    indicates Excel thinking because in db's that's aka repeating fields which we don't usually do, yes? Probably could cut out some confusion if you mocked up something in Excel and pasted it here as a table.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    I bit confusing. I imagine there are four options for each/some questions. It would not make sense to have 4 groups, especially if each group contained one option. This
    indicates Excel thinking because in db's that's aka repeating fields which we don't usually do, yes? Probably could cut out some confusion if you mocked up something in Excel and pasted it here as a table.

Definitely not how I would design it! Unfortunately, the questionnaire is for a research study and had to be approved by the IRB so can't be changed without going through the approval process again.

Rather than just ranking the masks 1-4 they want a table with 4 choices (1,2,3,4) under each type of mask. The more I think about it the crazier it seems. This is a rough idea of the table they want. There are 6 questions similar to the one below.

15. Rank the following masks based on your likelihood to use them when exposed to air pollution (traffic/industrial) for 3 consecutive full days at high levels.

(og1) (og2) (og3) (og4)
    surgical
    mask
    KN95 N95 half-face
    respirator
    1. Least likely O O O O
    2 O O O O
    3 O O O O
    4. Most likely O O O O

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Okay, a ranking survey. Not uncommon. On a web interface, each "question" often presented on its own page. Seems usually see levels across top and different items listed vertically. I think this would make the data structure and presentation simple. Probably why it is the common approach - more normalized. Maybe this db will give you a start.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by June7; 12-28-2023 at 07:19 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    To answer your first question off the top of my head, one way would be to have a table that relates the option labels to the questions. So for question 15 (I'm calling that the record id which is not necessarily the question number) this table (tblQuestionControls) would have that number as a foreign key to relate to tblQuestions. In tblQuestionControls you'd have 4 records for the 4 frame label captions ("surgical mask", etc.) and a field to id which option group it belongs to. If a question can have more/less choices than 4 then that adds complexity but would be doable. The tab control page would need question number when the q loads and this would set the label captions. Methinks a query could load the q id, frame label caption and option group number. As always, when one gets into the nuts and bolts of such an exercise, things that are not expected may crop up so I don't expect this encompasses everything.
    Last edited by Micron; 12-28-2023 at 03:26 PM. Reason: clarification
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Wow, June7! Thank you! I'll be out of town next week, but this gives me a great start when I get back.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank you! I'll be out next week, but eager to try these ideas when I get back.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.