deepaksharma is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2016

Continuous form vs split form

I want to know whether you all use continuous form to create a search form or split form is better. I googled it many times to know the answer and on Google I got the suggestion of list box.
    Please give your opinion.

Thank you.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Neither. A split form is nothing more than 2 views of the same data. I have yet to grasp the real need for that. A cf is also for a list of records - so neither of them is suitable for a search form. Consider http://allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    I frequently use a filterable listbox to make a search source on a form.

As an example on the left side of a form have a list of all you clients. Above it have a search box that filters the list automatically after you type 3 or more characters.
    You then display whichever clients detail is selected in the list box, on the rest of the form. It's quick and very simple to use.
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    really depends on the nature and complexity of the search, the volume of data, what is required to be displayed and whether the user needs to do something like edit a record or create a report. There is no 'one size fits all'.

I tend to use one or more unbound combo boxes, perhaps combined with a few unbound text boxes, tick boxes or option groups in the header or footer of a continuous form or alternatively in the detail section combined with a subform (continuous form or datasheet). I don't display any data until some search values have been entered.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    I normally use a combo or listbox to select items for the form filter.
    I usually use continuous forms rather than a datasheet as you cannot add controls such as a search box or header / footer sections to a standard datasheet form

One unusual use for a split form is to have a datasheet with a header and other controls.
    There are plenty examples on my website - see link in my signature line below
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

For more complex forms, I have used:
    Several combo boxes with diferent RowSources (mostly showing combined value from several fields in different order) of exactly same dimensions in exactly same position. Plus another combo which allows to select, which of different search orders to use (one combo from 1s group is set visible, and all other hidden), and also sets the form's order matching with selected search order.

Thank you all for giving your valuable time. Micron I find your method a bit complicated. Well, with some skepticism I have found isladog to be the best method so far.

Quote Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
    I normally use a combo or listbox to select items for the form filter.
    Hello Isladogs

I searched a lot for "Search Form" on your website then I found the pic 1 attached by me maybe you want to tell something similar.

You use Continuous Form to search records as I have mentioned in pic 3 but compared to splitform it has some shortcomings like record highlighter is not there in it and secondly it also does not have the facility of data filter set by Access please pic2 Take a look at. What would you like to say about this?

Please see pic 4, I changed two settings in it and gave the split form the look of continue form and also took advantage of the feature of pic 2.
    Please give your arguments regarding this.

I also want to know if my records will be more than 2 lakh number will it be able to work with better speed in search form mentioned in pic 2?

Thank You.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails search2.png   search3Untitled.png   Search4Untitled.png   searchUntitled.png  

Quote Originally Posted by ArviLaanemets View Post
    For more complex forms, I have used:
    Thank you Arvilaaements

Can I get a test file from somewhere to better understand your approach?
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by deepaksharma View Post
    Can I get a test file from somewhere to better understand your approach?
    Sorry, but all my app's are split ones, with MS SQL Server DB as Back-End. They simply don't work outside of our LAN! And redesigning the Front-End so it doesn't contain any sensitive data is too much of work too.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.