Akakii1809 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Publish online query results filtered by user

Good morning everyone, I am an Access neophyte and have been trying to learn how to use it for a few weeks for work reasons.

I expose below my need and the solution I would like to know if it is feasible or not from people more experienced than me in this matter: via ODBC I have my .accdb file connected to the server from where I pick up my data; in the file I have a selection query that makes me display my data. My goal is to publish that list of data online (either with a simple sharepoint list or with a report, I don't know yet) and then allow external users to access that data online to view it (and at most filter it as can be done on sharepoint).

The external users would have to log onto the online link, enter some sort of credential (username or password) so that the query results would automatically update by filtering on the db column that contains that specific username.

Thus, the user who logs in will see only the data related to his rows that result in the query (and will not be able to see all the other rows related to other users).

Obviously, then the query will have to update itself automatically by picking up for updated data from the server if data will change.

I ask, is this feasible with Access and SharePoint?
    I was thinking of including a credential field in this query and then considering this field as a parameter to filter the results of the query; however, I intended to have the external user enter this parameter when opening the online site, as if it were a password to see only their own data.

Is this feasible? Or should other tools than Access and SharePoint be used? If so, which ones?

Thank you all very much for your support in this regard, and I apologize if anything was unclear in my post and/or if I unintentionally disregarded any forum rules.

I look forward to your kind response on this matter. Thank you very much!

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    i have a form, when user opens it , it fills txtUserID = Environ("Username")
    then all queries use this to pull data for that user only.
    The userID can join to a tUser table if users have SalesID or whatnot.
    then the query is like:

SELECT qsDataDateRng.*
    FROM tUsers INNER JOIN qsDataDateRng ON tUsers.UserID = qsDataDateRng.SalesID
    WHERE ((tUsers.UserID)=[forms]![fMyForm]![txtUserID])

qsDataDateRng is a query that pulls data in a date range:
    select * from tData where ((tData.EventDate) Between [forms]![fMyForm]![txtStartDate] And [forms]![fMyForm]![txtEndDate]))

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.