Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sheusz is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Question Display query parameter in message box

Hi all

Thanks for viewing.

I have a report based on a query that asks the user to enter a StartDate and EndDate in the CallDate field.

I'm using the reports On No Data event to display a message box if there is nothing to report and exit out.

Code:
    MsgBox "Sorry, there is no data to report for the period specified.", vbInformation, "Report"
    I'd like to add the query parameters StartDate and EndDate to the message box to show the user what they entered. I feel it's more useful for the end user.

Something like (?)
    MsgBox "Sorry, there is no data to report for the period " & StarttDate & " and " & EndDate, vbInformation, "Report"

Is this possible?

I am displaying the parameters in an unbound text box (Period) on the report.

Well if you do not have access to those controls when the report is open you cannot?
    Otherwise just concatenate the form controls names into your message?

If the first situation applies, set some tempvars from those controls and refer to those in your message.
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    instead of using param to ask user, use a form with: txtStartDate, txtEndDate.

add this ref to the query:
    where [dateFld] between forms!fMyForm!txtStartDate and forms!fMyForm!txtEndDate

you can then get a rec count before opening the report:

Code:
    iCt = Dcount("*","qsMyQuery")
    if iCt= 0 then
       msgbox  "No data found"
    else
       docmd.openreport "rMyReport"
    endif

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Welshgasman View Post
    Well if you do not have access to those controls when the report is open you cannot?
    Otherwise just concatenate the form controls names into your message?

If the first situation applies, set some tempvars from those controls and refer to those in your message.
    Hi Welshman, thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure that I completely understand.

My understanding is that when the report is initiated, the query underlying the report is run before the report is displayed. Does that mean that I would have access to the text box on the report named Period (=[Start Date - dd/mm/yy] & " and " & [End Date - dd/mm/yy])

I've tried adding the Period control to the message but get an error 2427 - You entered an expression that has no value.

Code:
    Private Sub Report_NoData(Cancel As Integer)
        Dim message As String
        message = "Sorry, there is no data to report for the period specified. " & _
        Reports![svc_Unresolved Phone Calls Specify Dates]![Period]

MsgBox message, vbInformation, "Report"
        Cancel = True
    End Sub
    I've never used tempvars, so am not sure how I would use them in this case.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi Ranman

Thank you for the reply.

The report is one of many selected from a combo box on a form.

If I were to use a form to collect the dates for the report, can I have the form run on the On Load event of the report and then still use the On No Data event to trigger the message?

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Put 2 texboxes on form: txtStartDate and txtEndDate. Enable the date picker for both. Use clicks on control, a calendar pops up so no worries about date format.
    As for the rest, you can get the dates from
    - report openArgs (if you pass them from the form that opens the report) or
    - the form that holds the date textboxes mentioned above (has to be open, does not have to be visible)
    Since there are no records, even if those date fields are part of the report their value will be Null so there's nothing to get from there.

EDIT - you'd use the OnNoData event to present the message box with the date values.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi Micron

As I understand this, I would need to open the form prior to running the report. I can't use the report's On Load event to load the form?

It all comes down to the fact that the report is run from a combo box.

Code:
    On Error GoTo Err_ServiceReports
        DoCmd.OpenReport "svc_" & Me.cboServiceReports, acPreview
        cboServiceReports.Value = Null

Err_ServiceReports:
        cboServiceReports.Value = Null
        Exit Sub
    End Sub

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I would need to open the form prior to running the report.
    Your form is already open, no?
    The report is one of many selected from a combo box on a form.
    So why not put the aforementioned date textboxes on that form? If those would not apply for all reports in the combo list you could hide them based on selection. Move the code that opens the report to a command button. In button code, trap for invalid/no values for dates if applicable. When the no data event fires, get the dates from the same form that has the combo and date textboxes.

An alternative is to open a popup form that you create (modal) that holds the date textboxes. The button on that form would hide the form. The no data event gets the dates from that form instead. Close the popup form in the report close event, which runs when no data event cancels report opening. You don't even have to show the popup in order to close it.

Perhaps you will get other suggestions as well, but my preference would be to use your existing form.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi Micron

Thanks for the reply.

The form that opens the report is shown in this screenshot. Not all of the reports that can be chosen require date criteria, so I'm reluctant to put the date boxes on this form because I don't think that the user will realise that this information needs to be entered. I suppose that I could force entry in to the date fields regardless, but that seems a bit heavy-handed.

I had already started playing with your alternative suggestion, but that is creating a whole set of other issues. As you can see in post #7 the combo box opens the report directly. The code behind the combo box is below, and this won't allow me to open the form before opening the report being that MSysObjects.Type value for forms is-32768

Code:
    SELECT mid(MSysObjects.Name,5) FROM MsysObjects WHERE (Left$([Name],4)="svc_") And (MSysObjects.Type)=-32764 ORDER BY MSysObjects.Name;
    Anyway, I'll keep tinkering and see what I can come up with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-09-04 141011.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	50732

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi Orange

Thanks for the link. I'd come across this previously, but I don't think it will work on this occasion. However I am using it to build another report generator.

Based what I see in your post #10:

It looks like you run a report when you select it in the combo. Add a command button, and run the report from OnClick event of command button - this gives you option to change report conditions. And whenever you activate any of the report combos, save the name of selected report there to global variable added for storing the active report name.

Now at bottom of your report you have some empty space, where you can place controls for setting any filter conditions set for any report. By default all those controls, and their headers, are set invisible, and whenever you activate a combo to select a report, the filtering controls for this report are made visible, and all others are set invisible (for case there was another report activated previously). User sets filter conditions for this report, and clicks command button. OnClick events reads report name from global variable, generates the command string based on report name and filter controls values, and then runs the command string to run the report.

As only filter controls for single report are visible at any time moment, you can place filter controls of different reports in same position on form (overlapping).

Here is how I managed to do it?
    I had a common form to open for Forms, Reports and Queries.
    Data came from a table.
    If I needed parameters then I would open a dedicated form for those parameters (mainly start and end dates) and then run the report.
    I passed any info I needed as OpenArgs.

In my tblObject I had
    ObjectID
    ObjectType
    ObjectDescription
    FormName
    WhereClause

They were all brought into the combo.

HTH

Code:
    Private Sub cmdOpen_Click()
    ' Either open a basic report/query, or open form for same with parameters
    Dim strDescription As String, strName As String, strForm As String, strWhere As String
    Dim iPreview As Integer
    strDescription = Me.cboObject.Column(1)
    strName = Me.cboObject.Column(2)
    strForm = Me.cboObject.Column(3)
    strWhere = Nz(cboObject.Column(4), "")

If Me.chkPreview Then
         iPreview = 2 'acPreview
    Else
        iPreview = 0 ' aacNormal
    End If

If Nz(strForm, "") = "" Then
        Select Case Me.txtObjectType
            Case "Report"
                If strWhere = "" Then
                    DoCmd.OpenReport strName, iPreview, , , , strDescription
                Else
                    DoCmd.OpenReport strName, iPreview, , strWhere, , strDescription
                End If
            Case "Query"
                DoCmd.OpenQuery strName
            Case "Form"
                DoCmd.OpenForm strName
            Case Else
                MsgBox "Object Type not catered for"
        End Select
    Else
        DoCmd.OpenForm strForm, , , , , , strName
    End If
    End Sub
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi Arvil

Thanks for your reply.

The use of a command button is not practical in this case. There are some 30odd reports in the combo boxes. Event though only about 1/3rd of them require date criteria, I don't want a form loaded with command buttons to collect this information.

I'm thinking of splitting the date sensitive reports in to their own combo, which would allow me to get the result I want, but it require the user to work harder in finding a report that they would normally look for in a different combo.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi Welshgasman

Thanks for sharing. I'll have a close look at this and see if I can make it fir for my application. Certainly seems interesting. Are you able to share a screenshot of the form you use with this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.