Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    scout is offline Novice
    Windows 11 Office 365

Compare tables for unmatched data

Hello,

I have a data base used as part of research, I am trying to improve for more accurate date.

First someone will go through the source data and input this via a form which will translate to 'Table 1' then a second user will independently go through the same source data but this will input to 'Table 2' so Table 1 and Table 2 should have all the information for each study participant.

I want a query that looks for unmatched data that a 'Monitor' can then manually verify.

I have tried the basic instructions for Unmatched query via the wizard but it doesn't returns any results, I have complete the same form for both users inputting different information in each field to test. The only field been the same is the ID field as this is what I watch to compare, is this why I am not getting result because the ID is the same?

I am complete beginner, so would appreciate dumbed down answers

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Can you post a copy of the db
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

scout is offline Novice
    Windows 11 Office 365
    No, it is full of sensitive data. If I can't figure it out, I will make an empty copy when I get a chance

scout is offline Novice
    Windows 11 Office 365
    Sorry, I do have a copy with just has dummy data in
    Attached Files Attached Files

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    You built those tables like spreadsheets - that's always going to put up roadblocks. One record in each table is not much data to go on there. Regardless, trying to find dissimilar fields in records when there are about 65 fields is probably not feasible with a query. The concept of why different users should put the same data into separate tables requires some explaining IMO and might lead to suggestions on how to better achieve whatever that goal is.

You probably should read up on db normalization to see if you can come up with a schema of properly normalized tables for whatever purpose the db supports.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by scout View Post
    Sorry, I do have a copy with just has dummy data in
    I would agree with everything that Micron has already said.
    If it is possible to do what you want to do with a query, you would need to create a relationship between each field in table1 and its counterpart in table2 edited to return All records from table1 and only those records from table2 where the joined fields are equal.
    I don't know of a way to automate the creation and editing o the relationships.
    To get you started, in the following SQL statement, the first three field relationships have been edited and could be copied to a new query. You would need to do the other 60 or so field relationships but I don't know that it would work.
    Code:
    SELECT tbl1stdeBASE.StudyID, tbl1stdeBASE.Date_consent_signed, tbl1stdeBASE.Visit_date, tbl1stdeBASE.Aged_between_18_and_75, tbl1stdeBASE.Chronic_low_back_pain, tbl1stdeBASE.First_consultation, tbl1stdeBASE.NRS, tbl1stdeBASE.ODI, tbl1stdeBASE.Lumbar_multifidus_muscle_dysfunction, tbl1stdeBASE.Informed_consent, tbl1stdeBASE.Able_to_comply, tbl1stdeBASE.Indicated_for_reactiv8, tbl1stdeBASE.BMI, tbl1stdeBASE.Leg_pain, tbl1stdeBASE.Sacroiliac_joint_pain, tbl1stdeBASE.Scoliois, tbl1stdeBASE.Neurological_deficit, tbl1stdeBASE.Opioids, tbl1stdeBASE.Medications, tbl1stdeBASE.Rhizotomy, tbl1stdeBASE.Block, tbl1stdeBASE.Previous_back_surgery, tbl1stdeBASE.Previous_thoracic, tbl1stdeBASE.Litigation, tbl1stdeBASE.Claim, tbl1stdeBASE.Depression, tbl1stdeBASE.Diagnosed, tbl1stdeBASE.Planned_surgery, tbl1stdeBASE.Eligible, tbl1stdeBASE.Consent_obtained, tbl1stdeBASE.Age, tbl1stdeBASE.Gender, tbl1stdeBASE.Height, tbl1stdeBASE.Weight, tbl1stdeBASE.Pain_frequency, tbl1stdeBASE.First_doctor_visit, tbl1stdeBASE.Current_episode, tbl1stdeBASE.Previous_rhizotomy, tbl1stdeBASE.Spine_surgery, tbl1stdeBASE.Receiving_compensation, tbl1stdeBASE.Received_compensation, tbl1stdeBASE.Work_status, tbl1stdeBASE.Ability_to_work, tbl1stdeBASE.BaselineNRS, tbl1stdeBASE.DASS_depression, tbl1stdeBASE.DASS_anxiety, tbl1stdeBASE.DASS_stress, tbl1stdeBASE.DASS_total, tbl1stdeBASE.BaselineODI, tbl1stdeBASE.EQ5D_mobility, tbl1stdeBASE.EQ5D_selfcare, tbl1stdeBASE.EQ5D_usual_activities, tbl1stdeBASE.EQ5D_pain_discomfort, tbl1stdeBASE.EQ5D_anxiety_depression, tbl1stdeBASE.PROMIS29_physical_function, tbl1stdeBASE.PROMIS29_anxiety, tbl1stdeBASE.PROMIS29_depression, tbl1stdeBASE.PROMIS29_fatigue, tbl1stdeBASE.PROMIS29_sleep_disturbance, tbl1stdeBASE.PROMIS29_participate, tbl1stdeBASE.PROMIS29_pain_interference, tbl1stdeBASE.PROMIS29_pain_intensity, tbl1stdeBASE.Current_medications, tbl1stdeBASE.[5min_walk_test], tbl1stdeBASE.Sit_stand_test, tbl1stdeBASE.Adverse_eventsFROM tbl1stdeBASE LEFT JOIN tbl2nddeBASE ON (tbl1stdeBASE.Visit_date = tbl2nddeBASE.Visit_date) AND (tbl1stdeBASE.Date_consent_signed = tbl2nddeBASE.Date_consent_signed) AND (tbl1stdeBASE.[StudyID] = tbl2nddeBASE.[StudyID])
    WHERE (((tbl2nddeBASE.StudyID) Is Null));
    BTW I find it irritating when sample DBs are posted with loin forms, but without login details, and without some guidance of what we should be looking at.
    Good luck with your project.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    BTW I find it irritating when sample DBs are posted with loin forms, but without login details
    In this case I don't think it would have helped at all. AFAICS the tables required for logging in were not included.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Multiple users input same data as part of a quality control procedure?

Would need two queries.

1. returns records from tbl1st that don't have match in tbl2nd

2. returns records from tbl2nd that don't have match in tbl1st

Could use SELECT * instead of listing all fields.

If we start with an assumption that there will always be one record for each StudyID in each table, could build a form or report that shows the data side-by-side and visually review the data. Could even use textbox Conditional Formatting for red background when data does not match.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    @Bob
    you would need to create a relationship between each field in table1 and its counterpart in table2
    why do you need to create a relationship? it will just be a (left) join? You are also limited to 16 joins so if more that 16 fields then that method won't work anyway.

A technique I use is to calculate a hash of all the relevant fields and left join on that - plus do the other way as well as you advise

June7 is online now VIP
    I tested this Find Unmatched. I stopped setting up field links at 20. Query works.

I have query with 22 tables joined to a common parent - that means 22 JOINS.

There is a limit of 32 tables in query and I have hit it - so there were 31 JOINS. I redesigned report to use subreports.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    My article Finding Unmatched Records compares three methods of identifying unmatched records.
    At least one method should work for you (though with the caveat that I haven't looked at the file you uploaded)
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

CJ_London is offline VIP

June7 is online now VIP
    I know. My experience contradicts that doc.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    I did several tests a few years ago in response to various posts by user @jaryszek at AWF including Join with more than 15 fields | Access World Forums (access-programmers.co.uk)

Both the OP & I found that the limit of 16 joins from/to each table was a hard limit. i tested in both A2010 & A365.
    16 joins between 2 tables in an unmatched query worked. 17 joins failed.

So I'm surprised to hear than @June7 is stating that the limit doesn't apply in her tests on A2010. But reading the examples given in post #10 is I think describing a different scenario. The limit of 16 joins applies to the number of joins between 2 specific tables ... not the total number of joins in a query with multiple tables
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

June7 is online now VIP
    My post #10 described two different scenarios.

I had 20 field links between the two tables in posted db.

Then in my db, I have query with 22 tables joined to a 23rd table.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.