Error dialog box doesn't display, triggering "not responding" status, unless query in design view

Here's a situation - I have an update query on a large table. The query is open in design view. I hit "Run". It starts to run. I then get an audio chime, and a box displays that says "There isn't enough disk space or memory to undo the data changes this action query is about to make. Do you want to run this action query anyway? [Yes] [No]"

That's fine. I don't mind getting this message. I expect it. I click "Yes" and the query goes on and finishes up.

But suppose I don't have the query open in design view. Suppose (a) I have just clicked on the icon to run the query, or (b) the query is part of a Macro that I have executed.

In that case, I get the audio chime but the dialog box does not display. And I am stuck! It's like Access thinks it has displayed the box, and is waiting for me to click "Yes", but there's no place for me to do that. Access then goes into "Not Responding" mode and I end up having to close it down and reopen it. Basically this means that a lot of multi-query macros are unexecutable, because invariably they go into "Not responding" mode somewhere in the middle.

Is there a way to get Access to just display the darn box? Is this some setting I can select?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Peter
    Difficult to say but it would be a lot easier if you can upload a zipped copy of the database.
    You can PM me if you need further help.
    Good Reading https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/off...on-description

Are you sure it is not behind another window?
    Alt + Tab though all the windows to check.
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

RayMilhon is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I get the same thing but what's happening is the dialog box is open but it's behind the Access window. One thing I've done is in the Macro in the first action use Set Warnings = off. run the query and then Set Warnngs = on. That should eliminate the dialog box.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.