twgonder is offline Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2021

Problems at the start of adding right click

I just started down the path of adding right click to some of my form's controls.

With a little searching I found this article:
    Add a Custom Right-Click Menu to an Access Control (nolongerset.com)

The author has a good reputation, based on some of my sources.

When I try doing the first step in my Access 2021, 64 bit on Windows 10:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	230430rightclick1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	50179

Access starts acting weird, shuts down, tries backups then won't even start without immediately shutting down again.
    If I can get the db file to open, after several tries, the checkbox is unchecked.

I've recompiled, done db compact/repair, etc., but the problem continues.
    The article is from 2022, so I would think it should be good for Access 2021.
    I am using MZ-Tools.

Am I missing something here?

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    You say you have 64-bit Access. Therefore the path for the reference highlighted should be C:\Program Files\Common Files ....
    ... and NOT C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files .... which is for 32-bit Access on 64-bit windows

The author of that article, Mike Wolfe, deservedly has an excellent reputation
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2021
    @IslaDogs, post #2 Okay, that makes some sense. If I go to File>About Access it says I'm in 64 bit.
    So, I'm not clear how this could be corrected to have the correct path for 64 bit.

Windows 10 Access 2021
    I guess this all begs another numbnut question. I've had a lot of problems with Access over the past several months, with crashes, restarts, etc.

I bought a legal download version of Office 2021. Is it possible somehow when it was downloaded and installed that a VBE 32 bit version was installed, and not a 64 bit? How could I check that (the about doesn't say anything on the subject)?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	230501Vba1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	50180

Windows 10 Office 365
    Use the Browse button in the References dialog to add the 64-bit version of the reference

The only reason I would expect you to also have the 32-bit version of the file is if you previously had 32-bit Office and it wasn't completely uninstalled before installing a 64-bit version.

Assuming you downloaded 64-bit A2021 from an official MS site, then there is no chance that a 32-bit VBE would be installed
    Even if your download was from an unauthorised site, what you suggest still seems very unlikely.

However, in view of your comments about frequent crashes etc, it might be a good idea to completely uninstall Office 2021 using MS SARA (Support & Recovery Assistant) to remove all traces of the software. Reboot & check again with MS SARA. Then reinstall the 64-bit version again

BTW My VBE About screens for both 32-bit & 64-bit Access 365 are very similar to yours
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

Windows 10 Access 2021
    @isladogs, post #5 When I bought the laptop, it seems to have come with some version of Office 365. I uninstalled it before adding Office 2021, but a few weeks ago, I still found traces of Office 365, and once again uninstalled it. I don't know how to get rid of that little devil I guess. Uninstalling Office would be a big PITA, it takes a lot of work to get Outlook back to the configuration I've used for two decades, and I already did it once about 6 months ago, yet the problems persist.

Windows 10 Access 2021
    Adding to my post #6, I used to install Office from CDs, the previous being ,most likely ,Office 2003.
    But not on this laptop.
    As I recall, I had to download an install of some kind from a link that came with the purchase and license key.
    It downloaded installed, and then when it asked for the license key, probably in Word as I often test there first, the MS license key program said in essence, "ooops, you need something different, please wait", and did some more downloading and installing and poof, I had my Office.

I don't know if this is normal install activity with more recent versions of Office, or if something went wrong in the whole process of installing from the "cloud" which could be causing my problems. In any case, I have run SARA maybe three months ago, and all reported well. I don't know how much I can trust that though. It may have been what put some of Office 365 back on the laptop?

Windows 10 Office 365
    Normally MS Office downloads go very smoothly but perhaps something did go wrong for you.
    AFAIAA, MS SARA removes unwanted items depending on what its asked to do but I don't think it ever installs anything

Windows 10 Access 2021

No so smooth here, but maybe we're all dummies?

Quote Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
    Normally MS Office downloads go very smoothly but perhaps something did go wrong for you.
    AFAIAA, MS SARA removes unwanted items depending on what its asked to do but I don't think it ever installs anything
    Not including staff, I have three laptops with different versions of Windows and Access. All were installed at different times with proper license keys using the Microsoft downloads. All have had these kinds of problems with crashes, restarts, constant "backups" being requested, etc. It does make me wonder... In addition, some here on the forum have tested my dumbed down apps, and had some of the same crash problems with their equipment and versions. Staff here does find some different problems with the code crashing on their particular versions too. I do worry what's going to happen on "go live day" when Access is really put to the test.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.