Split form containing product info and another form containing notes

I have looked through the 'Forms' forum but cannot find an answer to how, I can split a form in two:

1) One part containing a 'datasheet' and

2) The other continuous form below, where I can enter notes about the product in each row in the dataset.

I would like the user to also be able to view my note(s) and enter their own notes for each product in the datasheet.

Both the user and I should be able to update product info in the datasheet / add notes.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your response and support.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I can't really grasp what you're doing with your forms but wanting to have a datasheet and cf form together is a strange request. A split form is a real thing, but that's 2 representations of the same records but having a main form view above a datasheet (or reversed). The only way I can envision this is with 3 forms - main form with 2 subforms, one ds, the other the cf but syncing them might be a challenge. Your better bet might be a main form for product data and a cf for notes. When you navigate from record to record in the main form, the subform would show the related info. I for one would put notes in their own related table and usually not append to the same note each time something is added. Doing the latter can make it quite difficult to find notes entered by a person, or on a date, for example.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Thank you for reaching out.

An alternative might be a model form that opens from a cell in a row (Notes Attached Yes/No). Any ideas as to how I might do this? I have seen articles about via a button but is not what I want.

Unless I somehow delete the single form from the split screen and create a button so that as soon as the row is selected the user can click the button and the dodel form appears. Do you know if I can do this instead?

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I would probably use a mainform (showing Product info) and a related subform showing (Notes related to the Product). However, if there is another entity (or entities) involved, and all could have related Notes, then you would adjust the Notes table to identify the Entity type and the specific ID that the Note referenced.

Can you describe the database design - the tables involved and an overview of the major processes it will support?

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Maybe copy, compact and zip what you have and post it here, otherwise I think this one is going to drag on for a while. I had more comments arising out of confusion but most of that went away when I realized that by "model" you mean modal. Anyway, you now have 2 of us saying you probably should use a main form/subform as described. Another option when dealing with notes/comments is to open a form filtered to the record for which you want to see/enter/edit related notes.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

the main datasheet contains the qualifications each student has. The subforum related to the assessment notes and whether their qualifications re stuffiest to be enrolled onto the course.

1) Main form (single form): Student Unique Learner Reference Number, their surname, forename, date of birth.
    2) Subform (datasheet) within Main form: Lists the qualifications they have.
    3) Another subform within Subform (2) above: Single or continuous comment(s) related to the assessment of each qualification listed for each student, which has been assessed by various staff within non-teaching and teaching staff.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.