rlw63109 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Question How to input multiple selections to table from form via List box?

I'm trying to create a user friendly form to input data into a table. I've hit a wall with one of my controls. I'd like to make multiple selections (simple or extended) and have them populated in the respective column of my table. Preferably separated by a comma or semicolon. Is this possible and if so, how?

Example:

Customer ABC purchased X,Y, and Z products. In my form, there is a List Box that contains all available products A-Z. I want my table to display all products purchased by Customer ABC in a single field with each item separated by a comma or semicolon. Is this even possible or is a text box my only option?

I do not have a history of programming so please excuse my ignorance and explain it was you would to a 5-year old.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Saving multiple items to a single field is bad design. What you described is accomplished one of two ways:

1. multi-value field established in table design

2. saving comma separated values string to a normal text field

The latter requires VBA code.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Another way would be a main form/subform design. Main form has customer data, subform has products they ordered.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

June7 is offline VIP
    What Micron suggests does not produce comma separated values in a single field. It produces a record for each product selected from a combobox or single-select listbox. This is better db design. This is a many-to-many relationship and requires 3 tables at a minimum:

tblOrders

tblProducts

tblOrderDetails

A tblCustomers could be useful as well, especially if you have repeat customers and want to collect info like name, address, phone.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Yeah, I guess I was ignoring the whole csv idea. Doing csv in one field, once you have "apple,orange,banana,grape" in a record, good luck trying to find out how many oranges a customer ordered (or anything at all about oranges). Not impossible but I cannot think of a reason to impose such difficulties.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

xps35 is online now Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Using one field, multivalue or comma separate, is a bad idea. You also need to be able to store the quantity and current price per product. A orderline table is the only right solution.
    Groeten,

Peter

rlw63109 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    First, and this goes for all commenters, thanks for your time and feedback.

Second, in this particular case, "apple, orange, banana, grape" is precisely what I'm looking for. Qty and price are irrelevant with respect to my overall goal. My intent for this field is simply to provide a short description of what was included on a given project, but I want to limit and control the input values via list box. I'll appreciate any guidance that can be offered.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Post 7 was moderated, not sure why. I'm posting to trigger email notifications.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

June7 is offline VIP
    Post 2 already advised on methods. Which do you prefer?

VBA for looping multi-select listbox is common topic. Here is one example https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ccess-list-box

Windows 10 Access 2016
    irrelevant with respect to my overall goal.
    As long as you understand the ramifications of how difficult it will be to get specific data out, then IMO go for it.
    My suggestion is to research how to ' ms access loop over listbox selected items and concatenate ' or ' ms access loop over selected items and add to comma separated string ' or similar. Not simple for a beginner, methinks. Here's one source

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/of...ction-list-box

When you see the code for that you might understand why it's not feasible to guide you as one would a 5 year old as you stated.

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 11 Office 365
    I use a lot of listboxes so I use a public function to iterate through the listboxes.

Code:
    Public Function getLBX(lbx As ListBox, Optional intColumn As Variant = 0, Optional Seperator As String = ",", _
                           Optional delim As Variant = Null) As String

'Iterates thru the multiselect listbox and constructs an array of the selected items
    'Arguments:
    'Lbx is Listbox Object ie.Me.MyListbox
    'intColumn is the column # to be returned
    'Seperator is the character seperating items in array returned
    'Delim is optional delimiter to be return in array ie. #1/1/2001#,#12/25/2015#

Dim strlist As String
        Dim varSelected As Variant

'On Error GoTo getLBX_Error

If lbx.ItemsSelected.Count = 0 Then
            'MsgBox "Nothing selected"
        Else

For Each varSelected In lbx.ItemsSelected

If Nz(lbx.Column(intColumn, (varSelected)), "") <> "" Then

strlist = strlist & delim & lbx.Column(intColumn, (varSelected)) & delim & Seperator

Else

strlist = strlist

End If

Next varSelected

If Nz(strlist, "") <> "" Then

strlist = Left$(strlist, Len(strlist) - 1)  'remove trailing comma

End If
        End If

getLBX = strlist

On Error GoTo 0
        Exit Function

getLBX_Error:

MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & " (" & Err.Description & ") in procedure getLBX of Module modLBX"

End Function
    you can simply call it with
    Code:
    X = getLBX(me.myListBoxName)
    You can use the optional arguments to change which column to return, what delimiters to use or what separator to use.
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.