ultrarunner2017 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit

Need to truncate a text field that contains time duration

Hi;

I use an Access 365 database to catalog my music library. When I created the db, I mistakenly used a date/time field for the track duration, then converted it to a text field. Doing that, I ended up with the format hh:nn:ss (where nn is minutes). When I entered the times for each track, I used only the hh:nn but not the ss, so all the records show 00 for seconds.
    After entering quite a bit of data, I changed the input mask for the time field to 00:00.
    I am looking for a method - probably an update query - to change all the times to use only hh:nn. I thought since it's a text field, I should be able to use the len function to truncate the field to 5 characters (from 8 characters), but it's been a while since I've done any 'coding' for Access.

Thanks for your help
    Ultrarunner

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    There are always leading zeros when values are less than 10, as in 01:05:00?
    Then perhaps UPDATE tblSongTracks SET [Duration] = Left([Duration],5)

Do that on a copy of your table first. Substitute your own table and field names. This is a common topic that would have countless examples of how to do it already posted and would save you from waiting around for an answer.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Thanks; That's what I was thinking (to use the Left operator) but wasn't sure about the syntax. I guess I need to update my Access 'expertise'. I don't do anything professional - only for my own use, but I enjoy working with Access, and VBA - although, I've not done anything for several years.

After some trial and error, using the update query, I got the result I was expecting. Good thing I took your advice and did the backup!

Now, all I need to do is figure out a way to copy all the records (data only) from one table into another, as I am in the process of rebuilding the database, and would like to avoid having to copy and paste the data manually.
    Reason I needed to rebuild the db is that I eschewed all of the good advice on building a database, and used one of the data fields (not an auto-number field) as my primary key. I don't know why I did it that way, after all the advice I have read on that subject, and why it is a terrible mistake to do so.
    In any case, I needed to truncate the trk_time field to 5 characters so that it would match the field in the new table; otherwise I get paste errors.

Sometimes though, I figure it's faster and easier to do the task manually, rather than build code. But I had a feeling that truncating the text field would be an easy task, and I need to learn how to use Access properly anyway!

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Now, all I need to do is figure out a way to copy all the records (data only) from one table into another,
    Append query?
    You might be in for a bit of work trying to match related records with the new pk values (I presume they're autonumber id's) on the "one" side of the many.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Since this is a one-time project, I guess it's not such a big deal to do it manually, unless I really want to jump (far) ahead and start writing code; but considering how much of Access I still need to learn, I don't think writing code is something I should be getting into just yet.
    I thought perhaps I could simply copy all of the records from the old 'songs' table into the new table, but because the relationships are different between the two databases, I only get errors when I try to do that.
    But I can copy and paste by descending from the artists table to the albums and then copy an entire album at once. Before I start any new Access projects, I'll do some studying, so that I have a better understanding of how a relational database works.

Since I now have a subscription to MS 365, I should be able to get some decent training materials without additional charge - I will take a look at Access video training.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.