racefan91 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

How to return "x" records in a query

I'm working on a database at my work and am having trouble finding any info on how to set the number of rows i want to display in a query. I can do it through the top values parameter in the design view properties but was wondering if there is an easier way to go about setting that value. Tried doing something like [TopValues] in the criteria but that doesn't do anything. The following sql is for the query I am trying to use with setting the Top Values parameter to 12.

SELECT TOP 12 tblProductionSchedule.SerialNumber
    FROM tblMain INNER JOIN tblProductionSchedule ON tblMain.[AB#] = tblProductionSchedule.SerialNumber
    GROUP BY tblProductionSchedule.SerialNumber, tblProductionSchedule.[Item#3], tblMain.DateBuilt, tblMain.[Cancel Date]
    HAVING (((tblProductionSchedule.[Item#3]) Is Not Null) AND ((tblMain.DateBuilt) Is Null) AND ((tblMain.[Cancel Date]) Is Null))
    ORDER BY tblProductionSchedule.[Item#3];

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    can't be passed as a criteria as such - you need to use vba, either to replace the sql in a querydef or to apply to a form or report recordsource

note that the use of spaces and non alpha numeric characters such as # can cause weird errors, better to use neither - # for example is used as a date delimiter in sql and in a form you if you have code for a control called say Cancel Date, the relevant sub will be called Sub Cancel_Date whatever - it replaces spaces with an underline

in a form you would use something like
    Code:
    dim sqlstr as string

sqlstr="SELECT TOP " & txtNumRows & " tblProductionSchedule.SerialNumber.....

querydefs("queryname").sql=sqlstr

or you might use

me.recordsource=sqlstr

Gicu is offline VIP
    You can use the .SQL property of the QueryDef object based on your query to edit the number that comes after TOP:
    In your VBA procedure you would then use the Replace() function to update the .SQL property to the new number:
    Code:
    Dim qdf as DAO.QueryDef,sSQL as String
    Dim sExistingTop as String

Set qdf=CurrentDb.QueryDefs("qryYourQuery")
    sSQL=qdf.SQL
    sExistingTop= Trim(Replace(Left(sSQL,InStr(sSQL,"tblProductionSchedule.SerialNumber")-1),"SELECT ","")) 'TOP 12 in your exmple
    sSQL=Replace(sSQL,sExistingTop,"TOP " & Me.txtNewTopNumber) 'uses a textbox one the form to pass the new number, you can use another method such as an input box
    qdf.SQL=sSQL 'update the query
    Set qdf=Nothing
    Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

racefan91 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gicu View Post
    You can use the .SQL property of the QueryDef object based on your query to edit the number that comes after TOP:
    In your VBA procedure you would then use the Replace() function to update the .SQL property to the new number:
    Code:
    Dim qdf as DAO.QueryDef,sSQL as String
    Dim sExistingTop as String

Set qdf=CurrentDb.QueryDefs("qryYourQuery")
    sSQL=qdf.SQL
    sExistingTop= Trim(Replace(Left(sSQL,InStr(sSQL,"tblProductionSchedule.SerialNumber")-1),"SELECT ","")) 'TOP 12 in your exmple
    sSQL=Replace(sSQL,sExistingTop,"TOP " & Me.txtNewTopNumber) 'uses a textbox one the form to pass the new number, you can use another method such as an input box
    qdf.SQL=sSQL 'update the query
    Set qdf=Nothing
    Cheers,
    Sorry for not understanding, my knowledge of access is very limited. How do I use this code? I make a textbox and then attach the vba to that textbox through one of the events?

Gicu is offline VIP
    Almost, but preferably you create a new simple (popup) form with a text box for the new number and a command button to run the code. You can obviously add those two controls to an existing form if you have one (such as a switchboard or a "reporting" form where you set some other options\parameters).

Make sure you customize the code I've given you by updating qryYourQuery with the actual name you use. You might also want to add a message box at the beginning of the code to prompt the user to confirm the change that is about to happen.

Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.