WonkyPython is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Creating an Estimate of Future Spending without Macros or VBA

Hello,

Can anyone help me with this please (I'm moderately competent with Access but not up to speed with VBA or Macros):

I have a table full of transaction records to date. There are many thousands of transactions.
    Now I want to forward plan a budget for the next year for a particular transaction type. I thought that the best way to do this would be to:

1. Create a Make Table Query and select the latest year of transactions of the type I need and so have a table I can mess around with without disturbing my working table.
    2. Run an Update Query to raise the date of each transaction by one year and to inflate the transaction cost by today's rate of inflation.
    3. Run an Append Query to paste these back into my original Transaction Table.
    4. I can then create a Report showing what my future budget might look like and as the current date moves into the future, I can replace my estimates with real data.

I noticed that the new table I created keeps the ID (Primary Key - which in my case is just an integer) from the Transaction Table.

So, my questions are:

1. If I Append my modified records back into my Transaction Table, will it paste them with new ID's or will it overwrite the transactions with same Ids andtherefore ruin my historical Transactions?
    2. In your opinion, is this an acceptable solution or is there a better way of working?

Thanks

1 & 2 could be done in one query?
    4 could be done until yu are happy with the transactions, then 3.

No, Append is an Append, so the records will be appended to the table. You will not be able to append the autonumber to the table. You new table would have autonumbers completely different anyway.

Now, ...... An Update query would be a different matter.

Personally I just use Quicken.
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

WonkyPython is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Thanks for your reply,

I'm new to Action Queries and I'd like to do things a step at a time.

As for my new table, created by the Make Table, it has the same ID, i.e. autonumbers, as in my original table. They aren't different. That's why I asked the question. I guess I'll make a backup of my database and then try appending and see what happens. I suppose the clue is in the title.

As for Quicken...did you mean Quickbooks? Judging by you username you are in the UK same as me. I used Quicken for many years but now it's no longer available. That's what made me import everything into Access.

I am still using Quicken 2004
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.