Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RJB2324 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Totals by month for table with multiple dates

I am new to Access and would like some advise on creating a monthly report showing totals for revenue and spend with different dates, where the totals are for the month the revenue or spend occurred.

The application I want to create is to track furniture restoration projects. I have two tables one for Furniture and the other Overheads (see attachment).
    I would like to create a report with Furniture Cost, Furniture Labour, Revenue etc. by month
    I am not a programmer but willing to try. Grateful for any advise. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MS Forum Attachment.jpg  

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    make a form, say frmRpts. On it have 2 text boxes for dates, txtStartDate, txtEndDate.
    When the user selects a begin and end dates, use some code to fill in the date boxes. (or manuall fill)

Then the base query Q1, that reads the boxs for criteria...
    select * from table where [DateEvent] between forms!frmRpts!txtSTartDate and forms!frmRpts!txtEndDate

now you can make another query , Q2, that sums Q1 data
    (the month or Qtr, etc)

make a report on Q2.

Hi
    Would 1 Customer only ever purchase 1 piece of furniture?
    You can PM me if you need further help.
    Good Reading https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/off...on-description

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    could really do with you explaining what the fields represent because it looks more like an excel approach rather than a database approach

a few questions:

are customers 'regular' or are they all 'one offs'?
    what is the relevance of 'date labour'? Surely these restorations can take more than a day?
    does the labour rate vary from job to job? if so, why?
    what about sundry materials? or are they insignificant?

there is no need to store your calculated costs, this would be done in a query
    better not to use attachment fields, they take up a lot of space - store in a folder and use a text field to store the link

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Further to the responses posted, since you are new to Access, many will advise you to NOT use names with embedded spaces nor special characters \ and -. Also it is helpful in communications with readers to include an overview of your business and its major processes.
    Do you have different categories of restoration projects? When I think about restoration projects involving a variety of different objects, I conjure up a Customer with an object of some general type, a description of the potential work involved, the steps required and their sequence, estimated and actual time effort and costs. But I'm not in the business.

Seems you could start with a database template for a generic service and adjust as needed.

Lots of database planning and design (and other) articles in the link in my signature.

Welcome to the forum.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Thank you all for your prompt response. I will try and answer some of the questions you have posed.
    The business is a part time start up that buys old items of furniture, repairs and generally paints them to give them a modern look.
    So far each customer has only purchased one item, hence the customer details with the furniture rather than a separate table. The furniture is catagorised into Tables, Chairs, Sideboard etc.
    The Date Labour is to give an indication when the refurbishment took place. Typically it will take several days but a single date along with the approximate number of hours is sufficient. The Labour Rate is defaulted at the moment but there is an option to override this. The overheads Table is for the general items such as ironmongery, paint, rent, tools etc. that do not belong to a specific item of furniture.

Thank you for the tips regarding attachments and naming conventions, I will take these on board.

I will take a look at the suggested approach to gather the dates and totals this afternoon.

So far each customer has only purchased one item, hence the customer details with the furniture rather than a separate table
    Well let's think about the customer liking what they have and coming back for more?

So it makes sense to get the design correct at the start, else just more work further down the road?
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Not to mention that it's just plain incorrect design - lacks normalization. You don't build for what is, you build for what can be. Research db normalization - don't get off on the wrong foot. Even if you never have a repeat customer, that design approach will permeate throughout your db and eventually, you will probably pay for it in terms of difficulty getting information in and out.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Office 365
    I have now updated the Furniture Table and also tried to explain in more detail what I would like to achieve. The Furniture Table has three cost and Revenue items and 3 corresponding dates. For a single item of furniture the cost, labour and revenue could all be in separate months.

I have attached some sample data to illustrate this.

What I would like to be able to do is by Year and Month show how much was spend on buying furniture, the cost of labour and the revenue. From these a Profit and Loss per month is calculated. This is DIFFERANT from the Profit/Loss on a specific item of furniture. I have put an example of the report I would like to create based on the sample data.

Thank you all for the general advise and best practice. Now, any help on how to create this report would be appreciated.

Many thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample Furniture Data.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	47303

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example of desired Report.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	47304

Hi
    Can you upload the actual database?

Hi
    As Micron has already indicated, your Furniture table is NOT normalised.

Create a MonthYear field and group on that with Sums for your various columns.
    That would be a workaround.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Thank you for the advise regarding MonthYear but I can't see how this will work as I will have to select a single date to base this on. Hence, other dates may be in the wrong month.

I have set up the Furniture table to reflect that this is the most important part of the DB. However, I am happy to try other designs if it is better practice.

I have attached a cut down version of the DB.

Thanks

RJBTest1.zip

RJBTest1.zip

Quote Originally Posted by RJB2324 View Post
    Thank you for the advise regarding MonthYear but I can't see how this will work as I will have to select a single date to base this on. Hence, other dates may be in the wrong month.

I have set up the Furniture table to reflect that this is the most important part of the DB. However, I am happy to try other designs if it is better practice.

I have attached a cut down version of the DB.

Thanks

RJBTest1.zip

RJBTest1.zip
    No, you just group on the month and year, so every date in a particular month and year gets aggregated?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    the problem is your data is not normalised

you need to use a union query to get the relevant data into a normalised form, then you can do your grouping

Something like

Code:
    SELECT "Cost" as TranType, T_Furniture.Date_Bought as TDate, T_Furniture.Furniture_Cost as TValue
    FROM T_Furniture
    UNION SELECT "Revenue", T_Furniture.Date_Sold, T_Furniture.Furniture_Revenue
    FROM T_Furniture;
    call this Qry1

then you can use a crosstab query

Code:
    TRANSFORM Sum(Qry1.TValue) AS SumOfTValue
    SELECT Format([TDate],"yyyy-mm") AS yyyymm, Sum([tvalue]*IIf([trantype]="Cost",-1,1)) AS Net
    FROM Qry1
    GROUP BY Format([TDate],"yyyy-mm")
    PIVOT Qry1.TranType
    which produces this result
    yyyymm Net Cost Revenue

2021-10 0 0
    2021-11 -30 30
    2021-12 240 10 250
    2022-01 140 160 300
    2022-02 -90 90

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.