Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Deploying an Access Runtime Database

Any thoughts on compiling Access using the Runtime process to create an application to sit on users PCs that do not have MS Access loaded? I have tried it long time ago and seemed to have issues. Does anyone use this method successfully, what version of Access and any issues or things to consider when doing this?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    you still need the access run time environment on the users machine. There isn't a 'runtime process'. You can only compile to .accde.

As a developer, you can mimic the run time environment by renaming your file .accdr - primarily so you can test the app works under runtime. You can supply a .accdr to a user but if they have the full version they can simply change the filename back and will have access based on the file type.

Runtime has a limited menu and ribbon, no navigation window or shortcut menus, and you cannot edit or create any objects (though you can still manipulate existing ones through vba)

Most of my apps will run under runtime, but I supply .accde unless a client has paid me for the source and is doing the deployment themselves

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    So for each PC you want to run the Runtime program, you have to install the runtime.exe from MS correct? Is it possible to have that run all as one package, check to see if runtime is loaded, and if not install it, then open the intended .accdr program?

And also your target database, I tested by just switching it from accdb to accdr. Is that all it takes, I thought you had to compile it somehow like you do with the accde.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    yes - use an installer package - there are a few about - see this link for some examples https://windowsreport.com/software-package-installer/

check to see if runtime is loaded, and if not install it
    some words of caution - some users may not have the rights to install and the runtime version is a large file - probably too large to send by email - better to provide them with a link so they can download and install themselves. Also you don't want to install runtime if the user already has a full version of access installed.

then open the intended .accdr program?
    it can do that, but better to install a shortcut on the desktop - which installers should be able to do. You will also need to decide where the app is to be installed and set as a trusted location. Or provide more interactive content so the user can decide. A good default location would be C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\BulzieApps (or whatever you want to call it). On first use of the FE create the BE, giving the user the choice of where that should be located

I tested by just switching it from accdb to accdr. Is that all it takes
    yes - as I said before, the .accdr is there for developers to test in a runtime environment. A user with a full access app can change it back again, so better to supply .accde

other things to watch out for

a .accde created from 32bit access won't run with 64bit access and visa versa

you are running a very old version of access (2007 according to your header) - if users have later versions of office installed, your app may have problems interfacing with the it. Use late binding wherever possible

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.