cdawley4 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Contact Database

Hello,

Now that I have introduced myself, I would like to create a database of contacts that I can use for work. What I would have is a table with all the contacts data, such as phone numbers and email addresses.

Some of the contacts have multiple phone numbers and email addresses.

I would like to create a form that would only display the fields if there is data in that particular field, such as if I have a contact with 2 phone numbers and a contact with 3 phone numbers, I would only want to see the field, only of there is data in the field. Same goes for contacts with multiple email addresses. I would like to have the ability to display the fields with the email address in them and select which email address I want to use or be able to use all of them for the contact, if possible.

That is where I am getting hung up. I know you have to build forms based on a table or query, but I don’t think what I want is possible.

I will say that I am not a programmer, but know how to use vba to write sub routines.

Writing vba code is not my strongest point, but I am willing to learn, if I know what each piece of the sub routine or code does. As long as I know that and take notes, I will be able to remember it and use it later.

I know something like this is probably better suited in Outlook, but the contact information changes and we have at least 20-30 people that would need to update outlook individually.

I am sorry for the long winded post and hope I haven’t confused anybody. Please reply back and I will try to clear up the details.

Thank You for taking the time to read this and post a reply.

Most places I worked had a Global address book in Outlook available to all users?
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Have you explored the MS Access Contacts db template? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...b-9031498c568e

Also, Access can link to Outlook.

What you want may be possible with a lot of VBA code. I personally don't see any real benefit.

Alternative to multiple phone (or address) fields is related table(s) where each phone (or address) is a record. No data, no record.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Your post makes me think that you have/will have multiple similar fields, kind of like a spreadsheet design. If that is the case, you are setting off on the wrong foot because a relational database should not be designed wide (like a spreadsheet) but tall, as in rows/records. If you don't have a good understanding of db normalization, I can provide some links or you can find your own. Suffice to say that it is the foundation of a relational db. Get it wrong, and many things become difficult at best and impossible at worst. You probably should have a table of contact details that you can relate to a contact.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.