dale.90 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2007

Product / Stock Management

Hi all, I'm new to access, running the 2007 version, and i was hoping somebody could help me with something. I work for a company that manufactures ladders and other fibreglass products and ive been assigned with the task of stock management.

What I need is a database where i can enter in all the stock we own and then the different types of ladders we produce and all their components. So every time an order comes in for a ladder i need to be able to select the specific ladder from a list and then have all the relevant components subtracted from the stock list.

Ive had a look around but havent been able to find a template that does what I need. Any help will be appreciated!! Thanks!

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    dale,

there are plenty of templates that can be 'modified' to do it, but there is probably nothing out on the web that does 'exactly' what you need. As an alternative though, and from a valuation standpoint, this is really a modest request in terms of database development and you can most likely get what you need for a couple hundred bucks in the US.

Doing it by yourself though, it heavily depends on your ability with the program. If you're completely new to it, don't have internal help and have no knowledge about Microsoft's programming languages, it would be foolish not to hire a contractor to do this. In this scenario, the value of your time spent on trying to produce it yourself would, by far, exceed the cost of services from a database professional.

As always, this is my own opinion and doesn't reflect other peoples' opinions here.

Finding the right contractor is important too, because developers' hourly costs can range anywhere from $20/hr - $200/hr (or more) in the US. The other consideration when purchasing services is to assure yourself that the person knows what they're talking about. There are so many 3-trick ponies in the programming world today that sometimes its hard to distinguish them from the ones that truly deliver quality products.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.