mdub is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2002

Automating Access with Gmail

Hi,

I know this is a pretty advanced question, but here goes...

My user has an Access database with several client information fields like name, ssn, e-mail, and phone #. She wants to be able to click a button and have that data populate in the Contacts part of her gmail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

HiTechCoach is offline MS MVP - Access Expert
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Welcome!

What I do know is possible is to create an From in Access that has controls fort all the required data to generate an email. I use SMTP/CDO to send the email through the gmail SMTP mail server.

Not sure if that will work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ajetrumpet View Post
    mdub,
    Your post on the Access world Forums will get a much better response than this one will. That forum has been around much longer and has more exposure.
    mdub,

I would have to disagree with Adam.

Words of caution:
    Adam was banned from AWF. I would take his advise with caution. Adam is also the reason why I rarely visit AWF.
    The fact that Adam is posting to go to another forum tells you a lot about his character and lack of professionalism.

carlmdobbs is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Only one way to do that.

With Outlook you have an application on your machine. All files containing email data are stored there.

With Outlook you have all files stored in cyberspace.

The only way you can possibly get these things is with

SEND KEYS>
    I have automated programs by causing MS Access to open a web site, click on the needed keyboard keys to open a web page. It then used the tab key and other control keys to do what your fingers would do to capture the information you needed.

The captured information can then go to MS Access easily.

Don't be afraid to do this. People often use keyboard macros. In MS Access you just have to write line after line of SendKeys to do the work your fingers would do.

That is the ONLY way.

Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    carlmdobbs,

I had to disagree with some of your comments. There are other alternatives that you may not be aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by carlmdobbs View Post
    With Outlook you have an application on your machine. All files containing email data are stored there.
    That is not always true. It is normally true if you are using POP3 withou an Exchange server message stor . If you are using IMAP or an Exchange server message store the emails are stored on the server not locally.

With Outlook you have all files stored in cyberspace.
    ?? That seams to contradict your previous statement.

I think you may have meant with gmail/google all files stored in cyberspace. Again that is not always true. You can use POP3 and store all your data in a local Outlook PST.

The only way you can possibly get these things is with

SEND KEYS>
    I recommend that everyone avoid use of sendkeys. There are some major bugs in Access with Sendkeys.

There are actual other alternatives that work much better. For example: AutoHotkey - Free Mouse and Keyboard Macro Program

I have automated programs by causing MS Access to open a web site, click on the needed keyboard keys to open a web page. It then used the tab key and other control keys to do what your fingers would do to capture the information you needed.

The captured information can then go to MS Access easily.

Don't be afraid to do this. People often use keyboard macros. In MS Access you just have to write line after line of SendKeys to do the work your fingers would do.

That is the ONLY way.
    Senskey is only one way not the olny way. There is Automation and other solutions. The original post was abut gmail contacts.

She wants to be able to click a button and have that data populate in the Contacts part of her gmail.
    One possible solution to this would be to use your method of opening a web page and use sendkeys. Unfortunately this is very problematic.

Google has a API for working with gmail directly. It is possible from Access to use the Google API to add/edit/delete/read contacts, calendar items, etc. All with VBA co and NO sendkeys. I current add itens to a google calendat from an Access app all without ever opening a web browser or using sendkeys. Pow! and the item is now in their Android phone.

FWIW: I have always been able to find a better alternative to than using sendkeys.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.