mreniff is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

"Function is not available in expressions"

I have an access 2016 Database that I am developing for an end user. The end user continues to get Error message is Function is not available in expressions in query expression ‘Right([Workshops]!{Name},1’.

I fixed this particular error message several iterations back.

The opening form contains a date stamp to confirm she is working from the correct copy. I even provide a hyperlink to the network share location to make sure she is using the most recent copy.

The Development work copy is on my OneDrive. My copy is moved to her network shared drive, as needed. I grab a copy of the DB from the shared drive to apply new changes, as needed.

I cannot recreate her errors. I even have worked directly from her copy on the network share and did not get any error messages.

Difference may lie in using Access on different Windows 10 devices. I use my own computer that I have full top level administrative control. I am very diligent in applying updates.

Hers is a managed laptop. She does not have admin rights to her laptop. I am aware that a "Managed" laptop may not be able to apply updates, as needed, when away from the office.

I would appreciate if someone can point me in a direction that help resolve this issue.

Thank you

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Don't use {}, use []. Also missing closing parenthesis.

Name is a reserved word and should not use reserved words as names for objects.

So what exactly is the issue - how to automatically download new version of db to her laptop? Probably can't. I encountered this same issue. All I can do is have code check for version of db and if there is a new one, notify user, terminate opening db and open folder holding new update so they can manually copy to their local folder.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

mreniff is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Right([Workshops]!{Name},1 with the {} is a typo. Corrected it is Right([Workshops]![Name],1.

I am going to take a look at the VBa References setting on her laptop.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.