DaveT99 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Parametric Query Suddently Stops Working

This has really bugged me, and I have lived with the issue for ages

I have parametric query, that works fine, then suddenly when I enter the single parameter in the dialogue box, the blank dialogue box reappears

What I have been doing to reset the query is to go into design and delete the expression LIKE [Enter Noun], run the query and then I go back to design view and repaste the expression and walla it works for some time and the issue reoccurs

Any ideas or is there a more robust approach. I have had this with many parametric queries over the past 2 years

Many Thanks

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    what is the full sql to your query - with your LIKE criteria (go to the sql view of the query and copy paste to here)

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveT99 View Post
    This has really bugged me, and I have lived with the issue for ages
    I have parametric query, that works fine, then suddenly when I enter the single parameter in the dialogue box, the blank dialogue box reappears

What I have been doing to reset the query is to go into design and delete the expression LIKE [Enter Noun], run the query and then I go back to design view and repaste the expression and walla it works for some time and the issue reoccurs

Any ideas or is there a more robust approach. I have had this with many parametric queries over the past 2 years

Many Thanks

As requested Alex

SELECT SPD1.Stock_No, Master_Template.Std_Noun, SPD1.Part_Desc, SPD1.MPN, SPD1.Template_id, SPD1.OMIT, Master_Template.Template_Desc
    FROM Master_Template RIGHT JOIN SPD1 ON Master_Template.Template_Id = SPD1.Template_id
    WHERE (((Master_Template.Std_Noun) Like [enter noun]) AND ((SPD1.OMIT) Is Null));

Regards

dashiellx is offline Falconer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveT99 View Post
    As requested Alex

SELECT SPD1.Stock_No, Master_Template.Std_Noun, SPD1.Part_Desc, SPD1.MPN, SPD1.Template_id, SPD1.OMIT, Master_Template.Template_Desc
    FROM Master_Template RIGHT JOIN SPD1 ON Master_Template.Template_Id = SPD1.Template_id
    WHERE (((Master_Template.Std_Noun) Like [enter noun]) AND ((SPD1.OMIT) Is Null));

Regards
    I'm not sure that would work properly. Generally when using the LIKE evaluation you need to have wildcards so the Access Engine knows where in the search string the value should be.

Like * [Enter Noun] means WhatEver followed by your entered value
    Like [Enter Noun] * means your entered value followed by whatever
    Like *[Enter Noun]* means your entered value can appear anywhere in the field.

What is the purpose of the query? What is your end result? There might be a more efficient way to do this.

William .
    Last edited by dashiellx; 04-30-2020 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling/formatting

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dashiellx View Post
    I'm not sure that would work properly. Generally when using the LIKE evaluation you need to have wildcards so the Access Engine knows where in the search string the value should be.

Like * [Enter Noun] means WhatEver followed by your entered value
    Like [Enter Noun] * means your entered value followed by whatever
    Like *[Enter Noun]* means your entered value can appear anywhere in the field.

What is the purpose of the query? What is your end result? There might be a more efficient way to do this.

William .
    In this case there is only the NOUN in the field ie it is a list of spare parts and this is for the Noun, so irrespective of the description in the part description I will pick out all say BEARING(s). I also use the Parametric query with wild cards before and after the criteria

Sometimes the Bearing may be abbreviated in the description,

As indicated most of the times they work but now and again they have a wobble, especially this particular one
    Regards

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I thought this comment

suddenly when I enter the single parameter in the dialogue box, the blank dialogue box reappears

mean't you were being asked for 'enter noun' twice

what is the blank dialogue box asking for?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.