DEMCO is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Run-time error 3075 Syntax error (missing operator) in qery expression

Hello,

I have made a form which exports to a Excel file when I use a existing query. The form has two combo drop down list which are in the SQL as "FYCombBo" and "PenAppComBo".

What I would like to do is have a VBA made query using the SQL below, but when I try this, I get error 3075. I have been working on this for a few days and am looking for help.

The reason I want to use SQL in the VBA for this export process is that I need to have this work when one or both of the combo boxes are empty and right now I am getting an error when one or both of them are empty when I use the existing query

I would be very thankful for any help.

TSQL = " SELECT DPWProgramCostStatus.DatePrepared, DPWProgramCostStatus.SubmittedFHWA, DPWProgramCostStatus.FHWAEffective, DPWProgramCostStatus.FY, DPWProgramCostStatus.PendingApproval, DPWProgramCostStatus.ProjectNumber, DPWProgramCostStatus.ProjectTitle, DPWProgramCostStatus.[1240ModNo], DPWProgramCostStatus.FinalVoucher, DPWProgramCostStatus.TOTAL," & _
    "DPWProgramCostStatus.NATLHWYSYSTERRITORIESSTEA3HT 10, DPWProgramCostStatus.NHSTERRITORIESSLUEXTLT1E, DPWProgramCostStatus.NHSTERRITORIESFY06LT10, DPWProgramCostStatus.PRTERRITORIALHWYSMAP21MT10, DPWProgramCostStatus.PRTERRITORIALHWYSMAP21EXTMT1E , DPWProgramCostStatus.NATLHWYSYSTERRITORIESTEA21QT1 0, DPWProgramCostStatus.PRTERRITORIALHWYSFMISZT10," & _
    "DPWProgramCostStatus.BRIDGEREPLACREHABDISCH06 0, DPWProgramCostStatus.HIGHWAYINFRATERRITORIESZ160, DPWProgramCostStatus.FY19HIGHWAYINFRASTRUCTUREPROG RAMSZ169, DPWProgramCostStatus.TRANSPORTATIONIMPPROJLY30, DPWProgramCostStatus.ER2004HURRICANESADDLFUND09J0, DPWProgramCostStatus.EMERRELIEFFEDAIDOTHER09V0, DPWProgramCostStatus.FY17OJTSSZ49A," & _
    "DPWProgramCostStatus.FY17NSTIAllocationZ49B, DPWProgramCostStatus.FY16NSTIAllocationZ49S, DPWProgramCostStatus.FY17DARFUNDS74YF, DPWProgramCostStatus.NAVYCONSTLANDACQPROJ73P0, DPWProgramCostStatus.MILITARYCONSTRNAVYFY101473V0, DPWProgramCostStatus.GUAMIMPACTSTUDYUSMC24C0, DPWProgramCostStatus.WILDLIFEREFUGEROADSTEA214190, DPWProgramCostStatus.Notes" & _
    "FROM DPWProgramCostStatus" & _
    "WHERE (((DPWProgramCostStatus.FY)=[Forms]![FedAidStatusQueryFYSelection]![FYComBo]) AND ((DPWProgramCostStatus.PendingApproval)=[Forms]![FedAidStatusQueryFYSelection]![PendAppComBo]));"

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Need spaces at end of following lines so constructed statement does not 'run together':

DPWProgramCostStatus.GUAMIMPACTSTUDYUSMC24C0, DPWProgramCostStatus.WILDLIFEREFUGEROADSTEA214190, DPWProgramCostStatus.Notes " & _
    "FROM DPWProgramCostStatus " & _

How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I'm not sure is you are having problems because of the missing space as per June7 or you are having problems if one or both of the combo boxes are empty/NULL.
    Is the inline SQL in a form module or a standard module?
    Are the values in the combo boxes numbers, text or dates? If Text or Dates, they need to be delimited.

Here is an example of how I would write the code
    Code:
    Option Compare Database  'these two lines should be at the top of EVERY module - form or standard
    Option Explicit          'these two lines should be at the top of EVERY module - form or standard

Private Sub Command3_Click()
        Dim TSQL As String
        Dim tmpWHERE As String

'generate basic SQL string
            TSQL = "SELECT DPWProgramCostStatus.DatePrepared, DPWProgramCostStatus.SubmittedFHWA, DPWProgramCostStatus.FHWAEffective,"
            TSQL = TSQL & " DPWProgramCostStatus.FY, DPWProgramCostStatus.PendingApproval, DPWProgramCostStatus.ProjectNumber, DPWProgramCostStatus.ProjectTitle,"
            TSQL = TSQL & " DPWProgramCostStatus.[1240ModNo], DPWProgramCostStatus.FinalVoucher, DPWProgramCostStatus.TOTAL,"
            TSQL = TSQL & " DPWProgramCostStatus.NATLHWYSYSTERRITORIESSTEA3HT 10, DPWProgramCostStatus.NHSTERRITORIESSLUEXTLT1E,"
            TSQL = TSQL & " DPWProgramCostStatus.NHSTERRITORIESFY06LT10, DPWProgramCostStatus.PRTERRITORIALHWYSMAP21MT10,"
            TSQL = TSQL & " DPWProgramCostStatus.PRTERRITORIALHWYSMAP21EXTMT1E , DPWProgramCostStatus.NATLHWYSYSTERRITORIESTEA21QT10,"
            TSQL = TSQL & " DPWProgramCostStatus.PRTERRITORIALHWYSFMISZT10,  DPWProgramCostStatus.BRIDGEREPLACREHABDISCH060,"
            TSQL = TSQL & " DPWProgramCostStatus.HIGHWAYINFRATERRITORIESZ160, DPWProgramCostStatus.FY19HIGHWAYINFRASTRUCTUREPROG RAMSZ169,"
            TSQL = TSQL & " DPWProgramCostStatus.TRANSPORTATIONIMPPROJLY30, DPWProgramCostStatus.ER2004HURRICANESADDLFUND09J0,"
            TSQL = TSQL & " DPWProgramCostStatus.EMERRELIEFFEDAIDOTHER09V0, DPWProgramCostStatus.FY17OJTSSZ49A,  DPWProgramCostStatus.FY17NSTIAllocationZ49B,"
            TSQL = TSQL & " DPWProgramCostStatus.FY16NSTIAllocationZ49S, DPWProgramCostStatus.FY17DARFUNDS74YF, DPWProgramCostStatus.NAVYCONSTLANDACQPROJ73P0,"
            TSQL = TSQL & " DPWProgramCostStatus.MILITARYCONSTRNAVYFY101473V0, DPWProgramCostStatus.GUAMIMPACTSTUDYUSMC24C0,"
            TSQL = TSQL & " DPWProgramCostStatus.WILDLIFEREFUGEROADSTEA214190 , DPWProgramCostStatus.Notes"
            TSQL = TSQL & " FROM DPWProgramCostStatus"

'determine where clause
        tmpWHERE = " WHERE"
        If Len(Trim([Forms]![FedAidStatusQueryFYSelection]![FYComBo]) & "") > 0 Then
            tmpWHERE = tmpWHERE & " DPWProgramCostStatus.FY = " & [Forms]![FedAidStatusQueryFYSelection]![FYComBo] & " AND"
        End If

If Len(Trim([Forms]![FedAidStatusQueryFYSelection]![PendAppComBo]) & "") > 0 Then
            tmpWHERE = tmpWHERE & " DPWProgramCostStatus.PendingApproval = " & [Forms]![FedAidStatusQueryFYSelection]![PendAppComBo]
        End If

'check for " and" at the end of where string - if found remove it
        If Len(Trim(tmpWHERE & "")) > 0 Then
            If Right(tmpWHERE, 4) = " AND" Then
                tmpWHERE = Left(tmpWHERE, Len(tmpWHERE) - 4)
            End If
        End If

'add the where clause, if any
        If Len(Trim(tmpWHERE)) > 6 Then
            TSQL = TSQL & tmpWHERE
        End If

Debug.Print TSQL

End Sub

CJ_London is offline VIP
    it is not necessary to provide the table name since you are only querying one table which would make your code easier to read, but certainly you are missing a number of spaces - for example

, DPWProgramCostStatus.FinalVoucher, DPWProgramCostStatus.TOTAL," & _
    "DPWProgra
    mCostStatus.NATLHWYSYSTERRITORIESSTEA3HT 10,

"FROM DPWProgramCostStatus" & _
    "WHERE
    (((DPWProgramCostStatus.FY)=
    and you seem to have spaces in some field names which consequently need square brackets, for example
    "DPWProgramCostStatus.NATLHWYSYSTERRITORIESSTE A3HT 10,
    , DPWProgramCostStatus.NATLHWYSYSTERRITORIESTEA21QT1 0,
    "DPWProgramCostStatus.BRIDGEREPLACREHABDISCH06 0

you also don't need all those brackets in the WHERE statement either

@Ajax

"DPWProgramCostStatus.NATLHWYSYSTERRITORIESSTE A3HT 10,
    , DPWProgramCostStatus.NATLHWYSYSTERRITORIESTEA21QT1 0,
    "DPWProgramCostStatus.BRIDGEREPLACREHABDISCH06 0
    I assumed that the spaces were from added by the forum because IIRC, it adds a space after 50 characters if the text is not within tags....????

CJ_London is offline VIP
    could be - but funny how it is only apparent on numerical characters

oops....I missed that

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.