kirstywing is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Absolute beginner qu - transferring a database

Apologies in advance for this very basic question. I have never used Access before.

I have recieved two databases from someone else, who also appears to not know very much about the software either!

I have recieved one file for each database, and another file that contains the user account information, and I had instructions for how to direct the software to that file so that the logins would work on my PC.

However, the first database is giving a runtime error saying it can't find a file in an icon folder on the network of the person that sent them to me (which obviously I'm not on), and the second database gave an error saying it couldn't find its connection to the first database, though it then fixed the connection by finding the database on my network. However even though it now opens, one of the drop down menus is now blank inside.

So, my question is, what files should you provide someone when you send them a database? Should I have a whole selection of folders, or just an icon folder (which I dont have, but have now asked for)? and what do I need to do to tell the databases to find these files correctly once I have them?

Any help appreciated, but non-tech speak please!
    Last edited by kirstywing; 09-06-2010 at 10:15 AM. Reason: typos

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Kirsty,

Be aware that asking someone for help by saying "non-tech speak" on a board like this probably won't be received well. Most people that answer posts are employed in the technology industry.

But at any rate, just thinking off the top of my head, here are some situations and what you might need if you're in them:

A SPLIT DB
    • both files
    • need to update linked table locations in FE (if linked to BE)

A DB WITH PICTURES
    • if they're linked, you need the picture files from the last programmer
    • need to update the address property of those pictures in all forms relevant

You can create code loops that can check for all of these broken types of links too .... or there might be a utility inside the database itself that can check for inconsistencies.

kirstywing is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks for the reply. I realise people on here are mostly tech people, which is the reason why I said "non-tech speak" because I'm not one. I really didn't know how else or where else to ask for help, and thought saying that might help me to understand any replies! (I'm a geneticist, and I often help people out on science forums that ask for replies in layman's term so I know how hard it is!)

I understand your reply, but I have zero coding ability or knowledge, so I don't know how to act on it. I guess I have to just feed the problem back to the people that sent me the database and see if they can fix it. I don't hold out much hope though, it was a secretary sent it to me because the staff that used it no longer work there, and even they didn't write it, it was an external contractor.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.