Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    sushilkadam is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 64bit
    I am not talking about internal revision dear, I am saying the revisions that are issued to client not internal. You are not understanding the ISO concept

No internal revisions are to be tracked. Infact there is not internal revision concept only

I am getting the files to and from client in email and can be in any format mostly in pdf only

I want to store the document in my office server and only want link to database so that I can use it whenever required

I am not asking for database dear, check the jpeg file I have uploaded, I want to complete my point nop.01. Document number is the combination of various fields so please guide me how can I design the document number

Quote Originally Posted by rpeare View Post
    What is your document numbering system. I agree with micron on most of what he's said. For ISO documents everything I've seen is a document number and a revision number, they don't (didn't?) care about the internal revisions the last time I knew anything about it, only what revision was currently in use.

If you are using internal 'sub revisions' and want to track them I would think you'd need another level

Document number ---> Revision Number ----> Revision Step

so you could contcatenate these to be something like 123456.5.1

After reading this entire post there are also a bunch of undefined things which I would think critical:

How are you getting the files to and from the clients? If you are using an FTP site are you using a naming convention that will help you locate files? For instance if you were to name the files you're sending your clients with the internal document number and a tag like

123456_5_1_Outgoing.pdf

and they would respond with their changes in a word document (or other document) with a file labeled similarly:

123456_5_1_Comments.docx

it should be trivial to connect your individual documents/revisions/revision steps to your data. But getting that kind of cooperation from your clients might be difficult.

Secondly as previously mentioned, if your intent is to actually store the documents in your database, do *not* use MS access as your back end. If your business is of any size at all the documents will quickly make the database unusable as MS access tends to start having problems around 2gb in size.

Also like Micron said, I do these sorts of projects for payment and what you're after is *not* a simple one asking someone to do it for you without paying them, which seems to be the gist of some of your posts, is not reasonable. if I've misinterpreted your posts to be asking for someone to do it for you I apologize just giving my 2 cents worth.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Lastly, First let us design the forms and table and than later i will explain you with example how each field is related to each other and how it needs to be linked
    Ahhh, no. Let's not put the cart before the horse.

FYI - I was an ISO 9000 and ISO 14001 coordinator and an ISO 14001 compliance auditor for a time and I know a thing or two about databases. In addition, I have done this before and sold the db product (where documents are stored in network folders and access is controlled by folder permissions and/or the database). It takes a LOT of time (months if you are going to wrap tool calibration and record management into this) and you haven't said much/anything about record management (would be surprised if abiding by the documents did not create any records. So....this is not really a "thing" for this forum. We help for free when you get stuck but we don't develop an entire system for free. At least that's my position.

EDIT - Upon review, I see that you did mention records in around post 5.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    P.S. Addressing me as 'dear' is inappropriate and condescending. Regardless of gender, when someone's trying to help you that's not the way to gain it.

Uncle Gizmo is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    P.S. Addressing me as 'dear' is inappropriate and condescending. Regardless of gender, when someone's trying to help you that's not the way to gain it.
    No, "Dear" is a standard way of addressing someone in a written document... For example a letter often starts "Dear Sir"

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Also people from Pakistan, Afghanistan & India also use this term frequently when addressing someone.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    dear sir/madam is one thing. Dear is repeated in the body of the response (2 times) and not as a formal opening. Second, look at the responses to all other respondents, nowhere else does 'dear' appear. If it were, as you say, a cultural thing, it would be reasonable to assume it would appear on every post. It does not.

I am not a SJW out for blood, I am merely pointing out I considered these two points before posting and discarded them.

sushilkadam is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 64bit
    Dear rpeare,

I do not intent to hurt you by saying "dear". Sorry if i said anything wrong

It's a common word used in any formal communications and everyone know this. Like dear friend, dear sir

What do you mean by SJW...now what shall i mean that...

i am surprised that you are not getting my meaning of "dear"...its not to hurt you my friend

Thanks....
    dear sir/madam is one thing. Dear is repeated in the body of the response (2 times) and not as a formal opening. Second, look at the responses to all other respondents, nowhere else does 'dear' appear. If it were, as you say, a cultural thing, it would be reasonable to assume it would appear on every post. It does not.

I am not a SJW out for blood, I am merely pointing out I considered these two points before posting and discarded them.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    See https://www.google.com/search?q=sjw+...hrome&ie=UTF-8 for the meaning of SJW.
    I had to look it up as well...
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.