Mysterious intermittent Conditional Formatting issue

Hi all,

I have a subform in Datasheet view in which some of the fields are conditionally formatted to show colours depending on the cell contents (or not). Usually, when the form opens, it all works fine. There are various command buttons on the main part of the form to do various things, such as opening other forms, or throwing positional and other data taken from the records shown in the subform at Google Earth to display placemarks for those records.

Sometimes, when the form is opened, the conditional formatting does not occur, and scrolling through the records, which would normally fly like lightning, is drastically slowed and occurs in spurts. The form is basically unsuable. Compact and Repair does not fix it.

However I discovered that if I go to the code for the OnClick event of say, a command button that throws data to Google Earth, then close it again and go back to Form View, the subform regains its conditional formatting and scrolling etc and all works fine.

Any ideas as to why this is happening, and why happening intermittently, and what can be done to stop it? Thx!

Cheers,
    Allen

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    No idea. Would have to view design and CF expression.

If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Hi June7, yes a mystery indeed. Many kind thanks for the offer to analyse. The dbase is over 130 mb in size so I would have to send you a severely cut-down version, assuming the issue still occurs therein. That could take some time, so please bear with me if you don't hear from me for a while in this regard. I have a couple of other questions to ask about which I will post soon, hopefully quick to fix.
    Cheers, Allen

Hi June7
    I think I know the cause of the problem - I am having intermittent problems with Microsoft Word hanging at the splash screen when it opens - by itself I might add, in the background without my knowing it. No idea why as yet, but sounds very sus. But when it does hang, I get that conditional formatting / scrolling issue in Microsoft Access, as well as other issues such as hanging when trying to create a form or a subform. If Word opens ok, the database works fine.
    Cheers, and thanks again for your kind offer.
    Allen

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Sundholm View Post

...I am having intermittent problems with Microsoft Word hanging at the splash screen when it opens - by itself I might add, in the background without my knowing it...
    Just to be clear...are you saying that Word is opening on its own...without you intentionally opening it?

Are any of the
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Sundholm View Post
    ...various command buttons on the main part of the form to do various things...
    opening MS Word, perhaps?

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.