kmb is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Webbrowser Control has stopped opening PDFs since updating Abode Reader DC

This happened a couple of months ago following an auto-update of Abode Acrobat Reader DC (current version 19.010.20091) and I am using the latest IE11 version 11.2001.14393.0. Attempting to open a PDF in IE11 or the web browser control causes an error "Abode Acrobat Reader DC has stopped working". I have updated the IE11 Adobe plugins. Adobe are not interested in helping. Given that the web browser control emulates IE11 and that Microsoft are pushing Edge nowadays, is there a web browser control available in the newest version of Access that can handle PDFs? Is there a workaround? Any help gratefully received please. I have found similar comments on Google searches but nobody has a solution!

The web browser control is called WebBrowserFileDisplay with a control source of TxtFilenameForWebDisplay

The basic code to open a PDF in the web browser control is:

strDirectory = "S:\CIL\CIL Stmts Archive"
    strLatestFilename = "CIL" & Me.[Code] & ".pdf"
    Me.TxtFilenameForWebDisplay.Value = strDirectory & strLatestFilename
    Last edited by kmb; 02-18-2019 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Added \

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Try the attached example - it opens Word/Excel/PowerPoint & PDF in a web browser
    FYI I also have Acrobat Reader DC on my machine

NOTE: In some newer versions of Access, the file may initially popup externally - if so, fix by running the registry file included in the attached zip
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

kmb is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank your quick reply. I'm not able open up zip files on our network, are you able to post text instead please?

kmb is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    isladogs, I managed to get to your code, but unfortunately I get the same error message from Adobe because your code:

Me.WebBrowser0.Object.ExecWB OLECMDID_OPTICAL_ZOOM, _
    OLECMDEXECOPT_DONTPROMPTUSER, CLng(100), vbNull
    Me.WebBrowser0.Object.Navigate2 strFile

still appears to use Adobe/IE11 within the web browser control. Basically Adobe or possibly Microsoft with IE11 have broken the functionality!

Apart from not updating Adobe, any other ideas gratefully received. Is there a web browser control out there that works with Edge???

Its a zipped ACCDB file together with other unrelated files.
    I can't upload uncompressed as it will exceed forum size limits.

Are you aware that Windows can open zip files. Click the file and select Extract All.
    Does that help or is it a work restriction?
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

Quote Originally Posted by kmb View Post
    isladogs, I managed to get to your code, but unfortunately I get the same error message from Adobe because your code:

Me.WebBrowser0.Object.ExecWB OLECMDID_OPTICAL_ZOOM, _
    OLECMDEXECOPT_DONTPROMPTUSER, CLng(100), vbNull
    Me.WebBrowser0.Object.Navigate2 strFile

still appears to use Adobe/IE11 within the web browser control. Basically Adobe or possibly Microsoft with IE11 have broken the functionality!

Apart from not updating Adobe, any other ideas gratefully received. Is there a web browser control out there that works with Edge???
    Hi
    Posts crossed and I didn't see this earlier.
    The Web browser control uses IE and its not possible to get it to use anything else even if you have a different default browser.
    I doubt the issue is with Adobe.
    In fact if you run the registry file the PDF should open within the browser and not make any use of external files.

The issue may be that you need to update the browser emulation as by default its for IE7 even though you have IE11 installed.
    See this post for a fix https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...42&postcount=1
    Or it may be caused by a Win10 update. Version 1803 broke several IE related issues e.g. Geolocation service in IE.
    Almost a year on not all have been completely fixed.

However I'm not experiencing this issue.
    What versions of Windows, Access and Adobe Reader DC are you using. For Windows & Access are you using 32or 64 bit?

kmb is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Unfortunately the regedit change had no effect because IE11 produces the same error message when opening a PDF itself. I believe the problem definitely relates to an Adobe update and/or an IE11 update which now doesn't work with Adobe Reader, because if I install an older version of Adobe Reader (version 18.011.20040.19174) both the web browser control and IE11 star working again!

I am using Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393, 64-bit system, Abode Acrobat Reader DC version 19.010.20091 (before I uninstalled it), IE11 version 11.2001.14393.0, Access 2016 for Office 365 MSO (16.0.11231.20164) 32-bit

FWIW this is what I have:

• Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 10.0.17763 32-bit
    • Access 2019 (365) 16.0.11406 32-bit
    • Internet Explorer 11.253.17763.0 (11.0.105)
    • Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 2019.008.20071

The Access web browser control opens PDFs internally whether the default PDF application is set to Edge, IE or Acrobat Reader.
    The default is irrelevant as the web browser ignores that & uses IE11 anyway.

The only other thing I can suggest is to set the browser emulation to IE11 or Edge and see if that fixes it.
    See the link in my last post.
    Its worth doing for other reasons even if it doesn't fix your current issue

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.