Peter is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Mail merge from two access tables

Going mad....
    I have two tables. (brilliant so far!)

The first is a typical client table (tblClients) with the usual stuff in it like name address etc that you would create to form the basis for title, first name last name and address information to insert into a ms word letter. just like the fuzzy green thing!

The second is a document archive table (tblDocumentsHeld) where the clients listed above, store any number of documents. As a legal practice this could be wills, powers of attorney etc. One client can therefore have many documents in this table. (no great shakes so far)

I am trying to create a merge letter in word 2007 that is going to take the client information and insert this as the header, address and greeting based on word merge fields from the access data source. No problem here!

Here the trauma starts...
    Also I would like in the same letter to let the clients know what documents they have in the archive.

eg
    Address details (from tblClients)

Dear Mr Smith (Greeting from tblClients
    We hold the following documents (from tblDocumentsHeld, based on the ClientID)
    1. Will
    2. Power of attorney
    3. Bank bonds

Stuck, Stuck, Stuck!!!!!!!!
    Please anyone who cares about taking a humble crazed person out of the doldurms, you're more than welcome to lend a helping hand...

Hi peter,

the easy way would of course be to build an Access report to do the mailing. If it has to be done in Word, you might want to put your problem in a Word forum.

succes
    NG

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    well Peter, I wrote a FAQ about using mail merge awhile back so it might helpful to you: http://www.ajenterprisesonline.com/f...ighlight=merge

But on thinking about this, maybe you can insert an actual query into the word document that serves as the list (with parameters of course, such as the client's name). I know this can be done but I've never had to. That might just be your best bet. A little research in word might take you a long way.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.