b3nb123 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

New to access - Help! New Data input vanishes on next launch!

I've just started using Access, so forgive me if I'm doing something daft!

My (very small, one person!) business has always kept a database of client info, using Microsoft Works, a ridiculously old version! But it worked fine, mail merge all set up, everything was good! But it was time to get up to date!

I exported the Works DB files to csv, imported them to excel. All Good.
    I tried to create a form to input the data using Excel, but it said there were too many fields.

So I imported the data to an access table. All good. the data is still all correct.
    I've created a nice form in Access to update the data. This works fine, if I input data and pop over to the table view, the new data is in there.

However, if I close and then reopen the .accdb file, all the data I just put in is missing. The changes I made to form design etc stay, but the tables are back to the unedited versions. I've checked it's not just the

Any ideas?
    I also get a 'Security Warning - Some active content has been disabled' Message at the top but I don't know what that's from. Also, the top bar of the program tells me, after the file name, ' (Access 2007 - 2016 File Format) '
    When I choose Save As it does seem this is the normal option, other options are for older versions. Hope someone can help!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Well, I've found my problem, and yes, it was me being stupid. When the new record was added to the table (because it was being added, it didn't vanish!), it was being placed somewhere in the middle of the list. I looked at the top of the list, looked at the bottom.
    I even tried searching, but didn't realise that the search box was set to search the current field, not the whole document!

Although the form said 'record 1 of 151' once it was submitted it ended up being placed number 31!

So there we go, just me being inexperienced!

Is there any way to set it so new records always add to the bottom of the list? I chose not to set an ID unique identifier, is that the problem?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    So it seems I've answered this all myself now!! I right clicked the Table, went into Design View and added a field called ID, with format 'AutoNumber' and set it to be the primary key. Now when I add a new record it adds to the end, instead of placing it somewhere in the middle. Problem solved, thank you Google!

Please note that, unless you add an order by clause to the SQL that defines your recordset, it never has any order at all. It is one of the first principles of working with datasets. Although it seems that the recordset is always shown ordered by the primary key, don't count on it. If you want to be sure, add an order by instruction. You can do this by using the sort buttons in the home toolbar, or by making a query and add the order by instruction to the SQL clause.

Indexes only allow sorting to be faster and more efficient, they don't do any sorting themselves. This is the same in Access, SQL server or other relational databases. See also
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...or-your-record

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.