specauto is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

runtime error "Object Not Set"

Greetings:

I am having a problem with a recurrent error message in our Access application of "Object not set". We are running MS Office Professional 2003, best I can determine the only updates I see in the server program population is compatability pack update for Office 2007.

This is a program we purchased from a software vendor several years ago and they have since gone out of business. The front end is encrypted, I can make no changes to any of the tables, queries, reports or forms. But I have managed to create new ones and can view the structure of everything, but make no changes.

When the "Object not set" error occurs, I have tried packing and reindexing which previously fixed the problem. Now for whatever reason this will not work. I end up having to restore our backup from the night before that results in lost data.

Any ideas what may be causing this and any recommendations as to how to keep it from happening? It happens about once a month, which is still too often.

Thanks in advance for any help.

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Boy it's difficult to troubleshoot what I'm guessing you have is the mde file (the compiled version), especially with an error like "Object not set". It could be something with the code itself, a module, or even the table structure itself or most likely if you recently upgraded to Office 2007, something it no longer likes in the code. Things such as non-standard modules/API calls could also be related. There's not much to go on here to help you.

Since the developer is nowhere to be found, what I would focus on is getting the data tables into a new structure and focus on designing a new in-house front-end if at all possible.

Since I found 2007 doesn't always play well with older MSAccess coding, you could also make sure you have all the latest service packs, look at the MDAC which is related to connecting to the data tables, and ideally upsize the data tables to SQL Server with again, a new front-end using MSAccess 2007.

And of course make sure you've compacted/repaired the backend if possible. You could also try a utility I believe Microsoft used to offer called JetUtil.

If re-indexing the data tables previously fixed the problems, also look for bad data values. If you spot any (such as a bad date field like 22/33), you could possibly fix that in the data table itself and save some work. If you have to fix it once a month, try to see if you can key in on when it happens to query certain records or specific fields which causes the data loss.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.