Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    shylock is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 64bit

Parameter error whith CurrentDb.Execute

Hi, again.

I have an append query that I am getting a parameter error on. (Shown Below).

The query is : SqlQry = "INSERT INTO DowntimeEventNew ([Begin Date], [Begin Time], [End Date], [End Time], Description, Planned, ReportedBy, EnteredBy, ServerName, UsePhysicalServer, Services)" _
    & "VALUES (cdate([txtBeginDate]), cdate([txtBeginTime]), cdate([txtEndDate]), cdate([txtEndTime]), [txtDescription], [cboPlanned], [txtReportedBy], [txtEnteredBy], [cboServerNm], [cboUsePhysicalServer], [txtServices]);"

CurrentDb.Execute SqlQry, dbFailOnError

This gives the following error:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	param err.PNG 
Views:	24 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	36358

However, when I use DoCmd.RunSQL SqlQry, I don't receive an error and the record is correctly appended to the table. Any suggestions?

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I believe you need to have the form field references outside the string. You also need to add delimiters depending on the datatype.
    I delimited the date fields below but you'll need to add delimiters to any text fields.

SqlQry = "INSERT INTO DowntimeEventNew ([Begin Date], [Begin Time], [End Date], [End Time], Description, Planned, ReportedBy, EnteredBy, ServerName, UsePhysicalServer, Services)"
    & "VALUES ( #" & cdate([txtBeginDate]) & "#,# & cdate([txtBeginTime]) & "#,#" & cdate([txtEndDate]) & "#,#" & cdate([txtEndTime]) & "#," & [txtDescription] & "," & [cboPlanned] & "," & [txtReportedBy] & "," & [txtEnteredBy] & "," & [cboServerNm] & "," & [cboUsePhysicalServer] & "," & [txtServices] & ");"

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    In addition to Mokes excellent answer, Description is a reserved word so it may well be worth using [Description] in the field list.
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    You can also use a query,
    or
    docmd.runSql SqlQry

moke123:

Thanks for the reply. I copied and pasted the code you provided. There seems to be syntax error. I have been playing with the syntax and can't seem to find it.

ranman256:

I used your suggestion, originally and it does work but I receive the error: "Microsoft Access can't append all the records in the query. Microsoft Accesss set 1 field9s0 to Null due to a type conversion failure, and ... Do you want to run this query anyway? ... Yes, No, help" If I click "Yes" the query runs fine and saves the record w/o Nulls in any field. I want to be able to suppress this error. The CurrentDb.Execute method is supposed to suppress the error but, as you can see from my original post, it spawns a different error. Any suggestions?

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by shylock View Post

Thanks for the reply. I copied and pasted the code you provided. There seems to be syntax error. I have been playing with the syntax and can't seem to find it.
    Here's one syntax error; need space
    UsePhysicalServer, Services) " & "VALUES ( #" & cdate([txtBegin

Went over my syntax for the query. Here is the final query as shown in the immediate window while debugginh:

INSERT INTO DowntimeEventNew ([Begin Date], [Begin Time], [End Date], [End Time], [Description], Planned, ReportedBy, EnteredBy, ServerName, UsePhysicalServer, Services) VALUES (#11/28/2018#, #12:00:00 PM#, #11/28/2018#, #12:30:00 PM#, test, True, JRW, Jack, Angular, False, AngularJS);

I now get this error: Run-time error: '3061': Too few parameters. Expected 5.

Any ideas?

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    As per post 2, your text values need to be delimited as are your dates: 'test', True, 'JRW', 'Jack', 'Angular', False, 'AngularJS'
    I'm assuming true and false are not text.
    When you fix this, I suspect you will be back to the write conflict error. A common oversight with that one is that it's a generic message listing several reasons why records cannot be appended or updated. For the ones that don't apply, the number of problem records is reported as '0'. Don't leave out the relevant reasons if you post back about that.

EDIT
    If you're not understanding, post the new sql because I'm seeing that you've gone from 11 fields to 5.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    It should look like this:
    The 5 parameters referred to need the single quotes.
    Adjust your VBA to get this in the IW.

INSERT INTO DowntimeEventNew ([Begin Date], [Begin Time], [End Date], [End Time], [Description], Planned, ReportedBy, EnteredBy, ServerName, UsePhysicalServer, Services) VALUES (#11/28/2018#, #12:00:00 PM#, #11/28/2018#, #12:30:00 PM#, 'test', True, 'JRW', 'Jack', 'Angular', False, 'AngularJS');

Micron:

Here is the "New" SQL:

SqlQry = "INSERT INTO DowntimeEventNew " _
    & "([Begin Date], [Begin Time], [End Date], [End Time], [Description], Planned, ReportedBy, EnteredBy, ServerName, UsePhysicalServer, Services)" _
    & " VALUES (#" & CDate([txtBeginDate]) & "#, #" & CDate([txtBeginTime]) & "#, #" & CDate([txtEndDate]) & "#, #" & CDate([txtEndTime]) & "#, " & [txtDescription] & ", " & [cboPlanned] & ", " & [txtReportedBy] & ", " & [txtEnteredBy] & ", " & [cboServerNm] & ", " & [cboUsePhysicalServer] & ", " & [txtServices] & ");"

As you can see there are, in fact 11 fields, not 5.

When I run the query and look at the contents of SqlQry in the immediate window this is what I see:

INSERT INTO DowntimeEventNew ([Begin Date], [Begin Time], [End Date], [End Time], [Description], Planned, ReportedBy, EnteredBy, ServerName, UsePhysicalServer, Services) VALUES (#11/28/2018#, #12:00:00 PM#, #11/28/2018#, #12:30:00 PM#, test, True, JRW, Jack, Angular, False, AngularJS);

I'm not understanding what you men by "your text values need to be delimited as are your dates: 'test', True, 'JRW', 'Jack', 'Angular', False, 'AngularJS'"

Davegri:

The 5 parameters you refer to are the contents of text boxes. How can I put single quotes around them? This is my SQL:

SqlQry = "INSERT INTO DowntimeEventNew ([Begin Date], [Begin Time], [End Date], [End Time], [Description], Planned, ReportedBy, EnteredBy, ServerName, UsePhysicalServer, Services)" _
    & "VALUES (CDate([txtBeginDate]), CDate([txtBeginTime]), CDate([txtEndDate]), CDate([txtEndTime]), [txtDescription], [cboPlanned], [txtReportedBy], [txtEnteredBy], [cboServerNm], [cboUsePhysicalServer], [txtServices]);"

DoCmd.RunSQL SqlQry

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by shylock View Post
    Micron:

Here is the "New" SQL:

SqlQry = "INSERT INTO DowntimeEventNew " _
    & "([Begin Date], [Begin Time], [End Date], [End Time], [Description], Planned, ReportedBy, EnteredBy, ServerName, UsePhysicalServer, Services)" _
    & " VALUES (#" & CDate([txtBeginDate]) & "#, #" & CDate([txtBeginTime]) & "#, #" & CDate([txtEndDate]) & "#, #" & CDate([txtEndTime]) & "#, " & [txtDescription] & ", " & [cboPlanned] & ", " & [txtReportedBy] & ", " & [txtEnteredBy] & ", " & [cboServerNm] & ", " & [cboUsePhysicalServer] & ", " & [txtServices] & ");"

As you can see there are, in fact 11 fields, not 5.

When I run the query and look at the contents of SqlQry in the immediate window this is what I see:

I'm not understanding what you men by "your text values need to be delimited as are your dates: 'test', True, 'JRW', 'Jack', 'Angular', False, 'AngularJS'"
    Probably not obvious to you, but post 2 explains it. For example, this #" & CDate([txtBeginDate]) & "# becomes a date like
    #01/01/2018#
    The #'s are date delimiters. ' and " are text delimiters. Since your vba expression has to start and end with ", it's common to use singles quotes within those, as in
    ...' " & [txtReportedBy] & " ', ' " & [txtEnteredBy] & " ',...

I have added spaces and formatting so you could identify the delimiters easier. You would not use those extra spaces. I also thought you might benefit more from trying yourself rather than simply doing it all as it can be difficult to grasp at first and requires a bit of practice. I still get it wrong from time to time.
    Note that on the left, the last character in the concatenation is '. Then comes your text field value. Then it resumes with a ',' followed by your next text field value.
    The result is ...'Text', 'Text2',... (where I've removed the spaces to indicate the desired result).
    You don't delimit number fields.
    Last edited by Micron; 11-28-2018 at 12:34 PM. Reason: correction

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Maybe it's easier to see this way, with discrete quotes.

" VALUES (" & "#" & CDate([txtBeginDate]) & "#" & ", " & "#" & CDate([txtBeginTime]) & "#" & ", " & "#" & CDate([txtEndDate]) & "#" & ", " & "#" & CDate([txtEndTime]) & "#" & ", " & "'" & [txtDescription] & "'" & ", " & [cboPlanned] & ", " & "'" & [txtReportedBy] & "'" & ", " & "'" & [txtEnteredBy] & "'" & ", " & "'" & [cboServerNm] & "'" & ", " & [cboUsePhysicalServer] & ", " & "'" & [txtServices] & "'" & ");"

Also a single quote is represented by Chr$(39)
    SO
    " VALUES (" & "#" & CDate([txtBeginDate]) & "#" & ", " & "#" & CDate([txtBeginTime]) & "#" & ", " & "#" & CDate([txtEndDate]) & "#" & ", " & "#" & CDate([txtEndTime]) & "#" & ", " & Chr$(39) & [txtDescription] & Chr$(39) & ", " & [cboPlanned] & ", " & Chr$(39) & [txtReportedBy] & Chr$(39) & ", " & Chr$(39) & [txtEnteredBy] & Chr$(39) & ", " & Chr$(39) & [cboServerNm] & Chr$(39) & ", " & [cboUsePhysicalServer] & ", " & Chr$(39) & [txtServices] & Chr$(39) & ");"

cboPlanned and cboUsePhysicalServer are boolean, so require no delimiters.

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Delimeters can be a real P.I.T.A. especially when you are first learning to use them.
    As suggested using a single quote ' is used a lot but, if for instance, you have a name like O'Malley you will get an error due to the single quote and will need to use a double quote.

May I suggest you develop some helper functions like below.

Code:
    Public Function txtDelim(strIN as string) as string

txtDelim = chr(34) & strIN & chr(34)

End Function
    then instead of .... '" & [Some text Field] & "' ....
    you would use ... & txtDelim([Some Text Field]) & ...
    you can do the same for date delimiters.

you should also always insert a debug.Print SqlQry before the .execute line so you can inspect the result of the sql.

btw, heres a list of the chr() codes or Ascii codes as they are known as ...https://www.atwebresults.com/ascii-codes.php?type=2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.