Levi92 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Problem with creating form

Hello everybody,

I have a weird problem with creating a form that I can't solve.

This is how I want my form to look like:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acc02.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	35498

And this is how the form looks like when I open it:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acc01.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	35499

What bugs me is that the dark orange rectangle below the form header
    does not go "all the way" to the end. In other words, when I open the form, there is some space left
    next to the rectangle. But when looking at the form in design view, everything looks the way I want it to look.

Can anyone help me?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Is AutoResize property set to No? In Design view, drag right edge so the scroll bar is over the form area.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Levi92 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    AutoResize is set to Yes.

In Form View I am unable to make any modifications to my form. Do you mean Design View?

I can resize the form width in Design Mode and that is precisely what I have done. I dragged the double-headed arrow as far to the left as possible (as you can see in the 1st picture).

Levi92 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I should add that I suspect this might somehow be related to my form being a pop-up window. If I set the Pop-Up property back to No, then everything looks the way it's supposed to. But
    as soon as I turn this property back to Yes....

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    You read my earlier post before I edited it. Review again. I seldom set popup Yes.

Try AutoResize No.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Long ago I found a post by a well known Access designer; can't remember who and darned if I've ever been able to find it again but it goes something like this:
    - size the form in design view
    - border type = resizable
    - control box = no (if you leave it as default yes, a user can use the minimize, maximize or restore methods and mess up the size). This will also remove close button so form needs its own. You can right click on center of form header in form view for closing/saving etc. and add button later if you want to try steps first.
    - remove vertical control bar (or both). Vertical reserves a strip of bar space that you can't get rid of.
    - I initially set auto resize = no but found that once the border was set to thin, it didn't seem to matter. Resizing application & other forms had no effect.
    - save form and switch to form view
    - resize form width and save (you may have to repeat from this step if you don't end up with what you want first time)
    - switch to design view, set border = thin and save
    - CLOSE form - don't mess with width again while in design view

Open/close form a few times to test and should be OK if I got this right and it was followed correctly. All assumes single form view where all controls fit and the header, design and footer combined heights don't exceed the form area height. If it does, having no vertical scrollbar will be an issue. If you allow datasheet view, I don't know what effect that view might have. If you subsequently remove features like record selectors, it will likely introduce space you don't want, so take care of those options early. See if this works for you.

EDIT: I was able to do this without using the popup property. As far as appearance goes, all that seems to do is add a shadow to make the form look raised in the app window.
    Last edited by Micron; 09-16-2018 at 08:04 AM.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Levi92 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    Long ago I found a post by a well known Access designer; can't remember who and darned if I've ever been able to find it again but it goes something like this:
    - size the form in design view
    - border type = resizable
    - control box = no (if you leave it as default yes, a user can use the minimize, maximize or restore methods and mess up the size). This will also remove close button so form needs its own. You can right click on center of form header in form view for closing/saving etc. and add button later if you want to try steps first.
    - remove vertical control bar (or both). Vertical reserves a strip of bar space that you can't get rid.
    - I initially set auto resize = no but found that once the border was set to thin, it didn't seem to matter. Resizing application & other forms had no effect.
    - save form and switch to form view
    - resize form width and save (you may have to repeat from this step if you don't end up with what you want first time)
    - switch to design view, set border = thin and save
    - CLOSE form - don't mess with width again while in design view

Open/close form a few times to test and should be OK if I got this right and it was followed correctly. All assumes single form view where all controls fit and the header, design and footer combined heights don't exceed the form area height. If it does, having no vertical scrollbar will be an issue. If you allow datasheet view, I don't know what effect that view might have. If you subsequently remove features like record selectors, it will likely introduce space you don't want, so take care of those options early. See if this works for you.

EDIT: I was able to do this without using the popup property. As far as appearance goes, all that seems to do is add a shadow to make the form look raised in the app window.
    You, Sir, are a true hero! It turns out that the scroll bar indeed reserved some space that I was unable to get rid off. After removing the scroll bars, everything worked like a charm!

Your post also contains some useful information. Thank you!

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    The hero is whoever posted the original method, which I can't find. Glad to have helped.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.