topcat88 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Microsoft Access Crashing - Lock file has computer entries more than once - Inconsistent State

The Problem

• The database was running reliability until two months ago. It had run reliably for five years.
    • Users suddenly get randomly disconnected from the database and can not access it.
    • It can occur five times a day or go for two weeks and then the instability occurs again.
    • If I remove the attached uses from the database and open the back end I get the message “Microsoft Access has detected
    • that this database is in an inconsistent state, and will attempt to recover the database. During this process, a backup copy of the database will be made and all recovered objects will be places in a new databse.
    • This process seems to recover the inconsistent state.
    • I have also opened the lock file before recovering the database and note that some PC registrations are in the lock file more than once.
    • There are no other issues with the network and other databases - but they aren't using access

The Network Setup

• About 12 PCs (Windows 10 - fully patched) networked to a windows 2012 server. Some of the workstations have SSDs
    • The networked PCs are using Office ranging from 2010 to 2016
    • Three of the PCs are using a VPN connection to the server and datase.
    • Split Access front-end back end-setup. Front end linked to the back-end. Front ends reside in each network pc – not shared.
    • An Access 2016 back-end Database (approx 250 gig) residing on the D: drive of a 2012 server

Things I've tried

• Creating a new Access container and importing new objects into it.
    • Changing the location of the backend database to the c drive on the server.
    • Stopped all front end apps compacting on close.

Any ideas will be much appreciated as this is a nuisance... cheers

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    3 comments on the above:

I have also opened the lock file before recovering the database and note that some PC registrations are in the lock file more than once.
    This sounds like some users may be opening the app more than once or switching off their PC without closing Access first

Three of the PCs are using a VPN connection to the server and database.
    This could well be a major cause of your problems

3. Before attempting to create a new clean database & importing all objects, I would recommend you always try decompiling first
    Its very quick & nearly always works. See this link for what it does and how its done: http://www.fmsinc.com/microsoftacces.../decompile.asp
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

topcat88 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Still Scratching my head

Thanks for your reply.

It doesn't seem to be the app opening more than once on a workstation as I've checked the processes in task manager to double check.
    I was concerned about users switching off their PC before Access closed - the reason why i removed compact on close. The computers in the lock file twice weren't switched off occasionally.

I've already performed decompile's and compact and repair - still no stabiliy

The system was running smooth using VPNs for over two years. And Access has crashed (locked up) while no VPNs are working

I think an update may be to blame and will try this work around in the next day or so.

https://www.devhut.net/2018/06/13/ac...gnized-format/

Ill keep you updated

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.