Bouler is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit

Combining 2 fields in a table

Hi I am a low level user of Access so I am sure the answer to my question will be obvious to experienced users. I have a table of names and addresses which has separate text fields for Surname and FirstName. I want to be able to combine these two fields into a single field to store in another table.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    I want to be able to combine these two fields into a single field to store in another table.
    Why store it in another table?
    The general rule of thumb is to NEVER store anything which can easily be calculated.
    You just combine the two fields in a query, and use the query for your needs (you can use a a query for just about anything you would use a table for).
    By not storing the value, it maintains the dynamic nature of the database, and helps to ensure database integrity. Otherwise, you could have bad data (what if someone's last name changes? then your full name table would be incorrect unless you also changed that).

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    In addition to the sage advice posted, it also makes it harder to find records. You have to resort to more complex statements to return all whose last name is Smith. It also means you can end up with Smith, Joe and Mary Brown (reversed name parts) in the same field. While these may never be of concern to you when taken verbatim, the take away should be that the difficulties apply to any sort of combined values - names or otherwise.
    Last edited by Micron; 07-19-2018 at 12:38 PM. Reason: clarification
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Bouler is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit
    Thanks to JoeM & Micron. Part of the problem was that I didn't know how to combine the fields. I found that in an old post on the forum and along with the advice to use a query I have it all sorted. Thanks again.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    You are welcome!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.