rooterhtg is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Question MS Access Program has become unstable - theory is either issues with Windows 10 or with move to 2016

Greetings,

We have been running an in-house developed MS Access program for almost 15 years.

Several years ago we moved from Access 2000 to Access 2013 with updated code, conversion to accdb files, etc.

Setup is as follows:

.accde file runs locally on all users' machines
    We have two .accdb database files that live on a file server

Recently we have encountered many database corruption issues that seem to be happening when records are inserted using .vba code.

The strangest thing is that the issues are intermittent and not consistent at all. The same insert function may work 9 out of 10 times without issue from the same workstation, breaking randomly and causing db corruption.

The issues seemed to start awhile back when we began introducing Windows 10 machines that were running Access 2016.

Since this time we have moved all users to the 2016 version of MS Access but still have mostly Windows 7 machines using the program.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Do you have any error handling logic?
    Are you getting any specific errors?

See this link and dialog.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks for your reply orange.

The error message is simply, and only, the standard message you see when the database is corrupt (invalid format).

I've had the user who experiences the most issues run the application with the source code front-end (.accdb instead of .accde) in order to get into the debug when the error occurs.

This has not provided any useful information unfortunately since it seems that the connection is just getting dropped due to corruption.

Thanks for that link....I've tried the registry work-around on the file server so we will see how that goes....I'll report back in a few days with results.

Thanks again for the reply!

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Are any of the machines with this problem running the latest Win10 update (1803) as there is a known issue with it and Access corruption
    See https://www.devhut.net/2018/06/13/ac...gnized-format/ for more info and a possible workround
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks for the reply ridders52! I have applied the work-around and will report back in a few days with results.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks to those who replied for the help. I applied the fix as suggested regarding the registry hack to disable leasing. I applied this to the file server and all windows 10 machines. Two weeks in and so far now more crashes so I'm hopeful that this has truly solved the issue. I'll post again on this tread if anything changes. Thanks again for the assistance! Rob

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.