averagejo3 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 64bit

Student database (Import/Report)

Hello everyone, new here to the forum. After running into somewhat of a wall I decided to look for any possible help online and this looks like a great forum and will become a frequent visitor.

Some background about my database: I am currently doing a side project that I undertook while here at my university. An advisor from my informatics department wanted a quicker way to process student data (Classes taken, grades,, major, credits taken, etc.), as this type of information is obviously private and cannot be shared to any students such as myself, he has provided files that have been obfuscated (basically randomized) so as not to infringe on any privacy. So he want a database where he could take the raw data files (Excel spreadsheets) import them into access, then be able to enter any one students id number and then be presented with a report listing analyzed data so as overall gpa (grade averages), total credits taken, etc. So essentially he wants the raw data analyzed so he is able to process student degree audits at a much quicker pace and is able to more efficiently assist the informatics major students such as myself.

So far I have been able to create an import process using VBA (Was confusing but figured it out) that uses a file picker dialog that allows the user to browse and select an Excel spreadsheet which is then imported into a table. From this table I then run some queries that I have been able to figure out such as calculation the respective gpa's for each student and total number of credits, etc.

I have ran into some problems with queries and how to bring all that information together and make it useful. I also haven't been able to figure out a way to search for individual students by id and then have all their information displayed in a cohesive manner.

I've attached my current database along with some source files. Any help with this would be great, just need overall help with this as access is definitely not my strong suit, thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Welcome to the forum.
    Here are a couple of things that may help.
    -With relational database, each table should have a unique primary key which uniquely identifies each and every record in that table.
    -With Access naming fields without embedded spaces is considered good practice and will reduce some syntax errors.

Good luck with your project.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    If you are interested there is a DEMO version of my schools database available from my website. See link in my signature line.
    It's a big download with example data for a fictitious school.
    You won't be able to view code as it's an ACCDE file but you may get some ideas anyway
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.