mspicka is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

iif query help

Hello,

Fairly new to Access and I am not able to locate through google what I am looking for... I have a Commission query I am trying to manipulate.

Commission query - I have GrossCommission and Salesman columns. I have three different Salesman and need to split the commissions accordingly.

PB gets 100% of his GrossCommission, 50% of PB/MS GrossCommission and 30% of MS GrossCommission

MS gets 70% of his GrossCommission and 50% of PB/MS GrossCommission and 0% of PB GrossCommission

I will keep searching on google. But if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be helpful.

M

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    That data needs to be stored on a table, maybe the salesmen table. Then each value will be a straight calculation in the query, you won't have to worry about what the values are or who the salesman is. You need to think of the future, new salesmen added, changes in the percentages, etc. Far easier to do thru tables.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    ...and the calculations done on a form - where each of 3 textboxes displays the commission calculated based on the commission percentages per salesman. I think it would be easier than doing so in a query, as long as you don't expect to be creating new commission types. IIF's are out of the question. For each new or additional salesman, all query expressions would have to be re-written, and would only get more complex.
    Also, this may be one of the "rare" cases where it's ok to store calculations in a table.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

mspicka is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by aytee111 View Post
    That data needs to be stored on a table, maybe the salesmen table. Then each value will be a straight calculation in the query, you won't have to worry about what the values are or who the salesman is. You need to think of the future, new salesmen added, changes in the percentages, etc. Far easier to do thru tables.
    Thank you, I agree with you that I needed to add those numbers directly into the CommissionTable. Next question...

PB Sales = $1000
    MS Sales = $500
    PB/MS Sales = $5000

PB Total Sale = $1000 + $5000/2
    MS TotalSales = $500 + $5000/2

Can I run this calculation from the Report or do I need to work it from the query side. These are Totals I want in the footer.

Thank you.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    You should be able to put simple expressions like that into unbound textboxes in the report footer - as long as the values are part of the records. Without knowing the report design, you may have to play with it a bit. There are options you may need to invoke, such as sum/count over group (from the report grouping/sorting menu) or running sum (in property sheet).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.